Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Safe (ish) wheel HP for a built 4L60e

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I might have missed it but did you happen to mention the cost of the 4l60e including install? I was given an estimate of $3500 today but more if it needing planetary gear IIC? Last time I spoke to the same bloke he told me $1800 - $2000 fitted. I must have misunderstood and and a mostly stock build is $2k, not one built for boost?

I think it cost about $4k, drive in drive out

The 3 options were:
1. Stock requild $??? didn't ask
2. 500hp built $3k IIRC
3. 600hp build $4k, parts list and work carried out is posted above somewhere

The tech guy said the 600hp build is what he has been running in his boosted LS for a while now, he stated that if I wanted to go stronger still, the next step would be a T400, he does believe the 60e will be fine for my application and I shouldn't have any issues

The massive trans cooler, limiting RPM to a sensible level and regular fluid flushes should also help with reliability and longevity

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Hey Ginger, it's been more than 12 months with your Craig's built trans. How's it going? What are the shifts like? Have you been giving it some?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Hey Ginger, it's been more than 12 months with your Craig's built trans. How's it going? What are the shifts like? Have you been giving it some?
Shifts great, fast and firm, it has had some transmission tuning to match the power output, first trans tune was NA, then retuned for the supercharger, it's all about matching the line pressure to avoid slip, and "stuff" (transmission tuning black magic stuff)

I do use some mechanical sympathy, I don't floor it from drive, I drop it back to 3rd first if I'm going to give it a hit when just cruising around, and I keep it off the limiter

It also has a trans cooler to keep fluid temps in check, although it only has a small stall, 2800"ish"

I don't baby the car and give it a good hit regularly

So far so good

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Thanks Ginger. I rarely floor it too. You gotta ease into it. I keep off the limiter too. Except at the drags, then I send it. I'm looking at options. Who else does a stout trans other than Craig's?

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I'd also welcome any advice on what I should do with a stall converter.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Smarty

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I'd also welcome any advice on what I should do with a stall converter.
You need to send your specs to whoever is building your converter

I had "the converter shop" in QLD build my billet one to match my cars specs, only cost just over $1k

There's alot of shops ro choose from, I would talk to your transmission builder first though and see who they use and recommend

They need your cars use, power output, rear gears, tyre size and a few other bits of info to match a converter to your car

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
6l80e in your vf is totally different kettle of fish compared to much weaker 4l60e in vr to vz models.

That said workmate's 700 plus rwhp in blown 7 litre vf clubbie lasted 6-7 years before it started to slip & all it had was convertor & tune done to stock auto...it now has craig's rebuild with all good gear in it & retuned.

Only difference he noticed is now turns tyre easier when at higher speeds with way less effort obviously lol

Last edited: