Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should i do to my v6 vy commodore

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I probably just get headers and exhaust and put a k/n filter
Why what does it achieve can i ask? Will it lose down low power and need you to change the cam and diff ratio to get the extra power your looking for is a real possibility. How long you plan on keeping the car you want more power buy a v8 or something else. I wasted heaps of money on hot cars then brought another car 2 years later .

Juiced_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Commodore VT Berlina 3.8 V6
Why what does it achieve can i ask? Will it lose down low power and need you to change the cam and diff ratio to get the extra power your looking for is a real possibility. How long you plan on keeping the car you want more power buy a v8 or something else. I wasted heaps of money on hot cars then brought another car 2 years later .
I’m planning to keep it for a while and just modify it a little

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Yeh. We should all buy $50k cars on finance, pay $20k interest to end up owning a car worth $20k.

Not losing $10k a year leaves a lot of money for commodore parts for the commodore you own outright.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
the ecotec v6 loves air vaccum

go get all your air vaccum hoses replaced and tighten them up good with clamps
. ensure all clamps around air box are tight and sealed
seal up the mouth piece with silicon on the air box, get your air flow sweet and smooth with no leaks. change the air filter too

then take plenum lid and throttle body off and clean out the 3mm of gunk

then check your exhaust manifold nuts but be gentle check theyre tight, but not too tight (these snap)

check battery terminals are tight and clean, even put an extra cable from batttery negetive to engine for more earth/ground, she'll start faster

then if got $$$ new O2 sensors & new injectors, new fuel filter... $250 for all if u can install yourself

this will get her running mint

Last edited:

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
lf juiced decides to be a car enthusiast best to start with helping the car operate more efficiently. Changing the filter will improve airflow efficiency/ fuel economy, throating of the cylinder heads by a professional will consider the vehicle details accordingly, this assisting all aspects of efficiency, the exhaust complements the changes assisting efficiency also. No cam, no diff ratio change needed. Some 98 octane in the tank and some SS wheels on Pirelli tyres and JUICED is cruzn...It was something to consider...

Juiced_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
the ecotec v6 loves air vaccum

go get all your air vaccum hoses replaced and tighten them up good with clamps
. ensure all clamps around air box are tight and sealed
seal up the mouth piece with silicon on the air box, get your air flow sweet and smooth with no leaks. change the air filter too

then take plenum lid and throttle body off and clean out the 3mm of gunk

then check your exhaust manifold nuts but be gentle check theyre tight, but not too tight (these snap)

check battery terminals are tight and clean, even put an extra cable from batttery negetive to engine for more earth/ground, she'll start faster

then if got $$$ new O2 sensors & new injectors, new fuel filter... $250 for all if u can install yourself

this will get her running mint
Thanks man

Juiced_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
lf juiced decides to be a car enthusiast best to start with helping the car operate more efficiently. Changing the filter will improve airflow efficiency/ fuel economy, throating of the cylinder heads by a professional will consider the vehicle details accordingly, this assisting all aspects of efficiency, the exhaust complements the changes assisting efficiency also. No cam, no diff ratio change needed. Some 98 octane in the tank and some SS wheels on Pirelli tyres and JUICED is cruzn...It was something to consider...
I really like cars and I am doing a course to become a mechanic and I’m going to do some work experience at a holden dealer

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Being a V6 wheels and stance, if you want anything more then get an eight and something half collectable in time to come. In all honesty you will spend a bucket load of cash trying to do performance mods on a 6 for less gain then you would get just buying the V8 car and it will be worth something when you decide to move it on, the V6 will never be worth anything unless you spend mega bucks on turbo/supercharger set up and once again spend the same amount on the V8 and you will gain more and have a more valuable car. It's your choice but I just can't justify spending anything on performance mods for the 6 as it doesn't open itself up to big power gains without spending a hell of a lot more than the car is worth, if people want a fast car than buy the right one and don't bother trying to make a slow car fast.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I really like cars and I am doing a course to become a mechanic and I’m going to do some work experience at a holden dealer
That's great to hear, keep a positive outlook on what you would like to acheive. As you have experienced on this forum already people have different views/ opinions so don't stress its all chill.. I'm a V8 man and you could just cruz in your 6 wash n and pollishin putin on some SS wheels and keep it serviced while saving to do up your sweat ride some day..Even if you had an 8 you could do the same as l mentioned. At the end of the day a car is only worth what someone will pay for it, so don't build one to sell it. Hope you understand the basics.