Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what should i do?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
My car makes a strange knocking noise when idling in gear, and makes the same noise but worse , when you really rev it out. Took it to one mecahnic and he said i dunno, maybe go to an auto electrician, so i went elsewhere, and i said drive it and you will hear it, but they just sat their in the workshop revving the motor, and he said i reckon it's a gearbox mount thats making the problem. I dont know where i can go and trust somebody.. I dont think its a gearbox mount because it makes the same noise in neutral, when under no load, and doesnt even sound like its coming from the gearbox...Its been doing it for a few months now, and now that i have a little $$ saved up to have it looked at, i dont want to get ripped off by some who thinks oh yeah might be this, could be that....-I had the engine mounts tightned and it's not the harmonic balancer, and it dosent missfire either,does anyone have any ideas or suggestion to prevent me getting ripped off , i live in sydney if thats helps?

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
check your center bearing on your tail shaft and your uni joints i know you said it dose it in neutral but it wont hurt to check and just check g box mount and engine mounts and go from there

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Went to MIDAS, they told me my engine mounts need replacing-$600, as do my gearbox mounts-$150, and that there's a slight missfire, which could be a burnt out valve which would require the head coming off and atleast $1000, they said it wouldn't hurt to replace the injectors while im at it too-$200 ****!! i brought the whole car for less!!!

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
If you have a decent video camera, do us a youtube/etc video so we can hear/see it. :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I can try doing it with my phone , it's all i've got, im not really sure it will pick up the niose im talking about though..

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Surely you've got a mate with a good vid camera, or someone with a N95/N96 phone? :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Nup, not long moved interstate, so dont really know anybody yet...But the camera in my samsung Touch aint to bad, so i'll give it a go...

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
lifters
???

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
spoke to wreckers and they can do engine mounts for $200, so there's a saving of 400 so far. Told him about the noise, and he said he's got a sports exhaust there for 6obucks, i said whats a sports exhaust got to do with it, and he said well you wouldnt be hearing the niose anymore! haha