Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should my fuel Econ be

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
I have a VS series 1, auto.

Got 13.7 in the city recently.

On the highway will get less than 10l/100km. Can get over 700km heading to QLD.

Thats running 91 unleaded.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I have a VS series 1, auto.

Got 13.7 in the city recently.

On the highway will get less than 10l/100km. Can get over 700km heading to QLD.

Thats running 91 unleaded.

what is it about your car that allows u to have such great fuel use?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
How is a 15+ year old car able to get 700+ km's out of one tank of fuel?
I mean, it was only in the past 7-8 years that cars stated getting that sort of fuel economy wasn't it? & when they did, that was a big f.ing deal!

Does the BT1 have a long range fuel tank in it?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I can get similar fuel economy from my VSV6 but I only run it on 98 and its tuned. Pacemeker headers also helped with economy.These cars may be 15 or so years old, but all the parts under mine are pretty much brand new as most stuff has been replaced,..

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I can get similar fuel economy from my VSV6 but I only run it on 98 and its tuned. Pacemeker headers also helped with economy.These cars may be 15 or so years old, but all the parts under mine are pretty much brand new as most stuff has been replaced,..

so a car comes to your door with no pacemakers & no memcal tune

the oxygen sensors are fine, theres no vaccum leaks, the throttle body & MAF is clean, the IAC is brand new, the O-rings on the fuel injectors are sealed, the coolant temp sensor is also new

whats the first thing a mechanics gonna do now to find out where all this fuel wastage is going?? (step by step) :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If a vehicle is using excess fuel and theres no apparent problems with the engine or engine management systems, and no leaks, then Id start looking at stuff like a slipping trans, or dragging brakes, (including handbrake shoes), or look for a binding wheel bearings etc etc.
Wheel alignment and tyre pressures also play decent part in how much fuel a vehicle uses.. If its wheels are out of alignment and its srubbing the tyres along the road instead of just rolling freely, then its gonna use more fuel, same deal if its driven with half flat tyres..

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
How is a 15+ year old car able to get 700+ km's out of one tank of fuel?
I mean, it was only in the past 7-8 years that cars stated getting that sort of fuel economy wasn't it? & when they did, that was a big f.ing deal!

Does the BT1 have a long range fuel tank in it?

My last trip from Adelaide to Sydney, fully loaded car with 2 adults. I got 732k and was still above the last white mark on the gauge (VR stock in every way) I was really surprised and pleased as we had budgeted for 500k per tank..Was thinking with out the missus and baggage,the car having all new sensors (no idea how old some parts are on the car) 1000km a tank might just be doable :D

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
as above on a recent trip to Portland we travelled approx. 470km's and used 47 litres,ie-10litres per hundred,however most of this was open road sitting around 105 most of the time,this was achieved in a stock ls1 with 4 people in the car-2 adults 2 kids and a full boot

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
My car is standard, no long range tank. I suppose when I head up there I'm in holiday/cruise mode so not not driving like a madman. By then the fuel light is on. I try to drive with at least a 1/4 of a tank but petrol was a fair bit cheaper up QLD so I would stretch it out. I've always looked after the car.