Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should timing be ??? And injector / fuel pressure question

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Every built holden motor I have seen. Timing is left on 10 degrees for first fire up as less chance of hurting it and starts the easiest.

From stock rebuilds to 600+ HP NA motors.

Yes when I put the dizzy in I set it as close to top dead centre as possible and I told my tuner I had done that before they started it !!! And he said yes good he didn't want any advance on it for first start

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
alarm bells. if you need 18 at start and you do not have low comp/octane then maybe not good somewhere.

your car uses base timing to start. the ecu is NOT used.

ecu has no idea what base has been set.

ecu then adds advance from whatever you set at base. it cannot check your start point it just keeps adding from ur start point.

you can easily then end up near 50 if you start too big (base timing + total ecu advance)

if you start too big and have knock sensor then your computer will wind back when pinging. If no knock sensor, then you are in a world of pain. UNLESS you have changed advance numbers in tune - but you have not or else you would not be asking questions.

btw - my 355 on 91 octane is 11, not for start reasons but total advance reasons, but starts fine

It is a low compression motor at 8.47 :1 and when I did a cylinder psi test all of them where 138 psi !!!

And it runs a factory ecu the original was damaged by water in 08 and I got a stock one from the Brock shop that was for HSV and 185 kw so the knock sensor is still operational !!!

And I'm not sure what they have done to the advance in ecu
And this is not on 91 only 98 octane

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Personally I wouldn't be reving a fresh motor on a run in tune over 3500-4000.

His cam isn't what you would ideally call a dedicated boost cam. It's more a NA/boost choice with the lsa on 112.

And Patek actually told me to put the foot down a couple of times early in its life not flat about 70 % throttle but being built to go to 7000 RPM he said take it to 5000 RPM a couple of times not many though ,iv done 2 and that will be it ,on its run in form it said as early as possible to do few hard burst from 60 to 90 and to do all sorts of driving no hiway use and no heavy loads
The rest has been under 3800 RPM

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
sorry manta bloke my last 18 rant was not aimed at you....my head is good about yours

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Just be careful man. Can hurt a motor if you start reving it while its not tuned. You should of bedded the cam and rings in while it was on the dyno.

Would have saved u doing the 1000kms

Mines was bedded on dyno in 30-40mins. Changed springs and then gave it power runs.

Have faith in your tuner bloke. All will turn out good.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Just be careful man. Can hurt a motor if you start reving it while its not tuned. You should of bedded the cam and rings in while it was on the dyno.

Would have saved u doing the 1000kms

Mines was bedded on dyno in 30-40mins. Changed springs and then gave it power runs.

Have faith in your tuner bloke. All will turn out good.

Yes definitely things can get very hot when not tuned right, all my driving has been very gental with very little throttle % used !!!
Like I said only twice have I gone up in revs

Your have a silver 355 from Patek don't u ??? And does that have a solid cam (not roller) ???

And as I told jezza at HDT ,my tuner that this is the first time iv built a car , well iv owned this for 10 years and done lots of mechanical things, this is the first time iv taken a motor changed every thing and set it all up myself he suggested the option to run it N/A and said not to worrying do it with belt on, but it throw the belt of 1 grove and striped the side of it so that sealed it for run in N/A !!!
oops belt is aligned properly now had it running with belt on the other day and blowing into the atmosphire out the side of cooler !!! That was a good way to blow $80 in a few seconds

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Na I didn't use Pavtek. Mines still 303 ;P

shaun001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt clubby
42 pound is a bit id small, get your self a good rising rate reg aswell, i have 1000cc injector dynamics and an aeromotive boost referenced reg that way i just set my fuel pressure at sock and the reg ads a pound of rail pressure for every pound of boost,be careful that sounds like alot of timing it doesnt take much detonation to hurt your engine

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
42 pound is a bit id small, get your self a good rising rate reg aswell, i have 1000cc injector dynamics and an aeromotive boost referenced reg that way i just set my fuel pressure at sock and the reg ads a pound of rail pressure for every pound of boost,be careful that sounds like alot of timing it doesnt take much detonation to hurt your engine

Yeah I got some Siemons 60 lbs now and iv already got rising rate regulator and ill be setting the pressure down to 43 psi its up at 50psi at moment and that timing is while its n/a it will be takin back when boost is added