Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should timing be ??? And injector / fuel pressure question

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Hi got a 355 stroker all the good gear check out my thread !!! At the moment it is running N/A the blower belt is not connected and is in a run in tune, I have touched 6 000RPM twice and it has set of the knock sensior (engine light)
My timing with the aldl earthed is 18 degrees
Timing with it not earthed is 28 at idle and rises to up around 40 with a rev around 3500

This does not sound quite right to me !!! i think this is to advanced ,what do use think ???

Now I had low indepence 880 cc injectors ( was goin to use heltech) but am not using it , so when it went in for tune they put a set of 36 pound high indepence injectors in it

My tune says these will be big enough with blower connected with the fuel pressure up around 55psi

I'm not a tuner but I would of thought 60 pound injectors with lower fuel pressure so it has room to rise (rising rate regulator) would of been better, what do use wreckin ???

Looking at around the 550 hp at tyres fully tuned

Please give me any feed back on these issues???

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
it's a running a solid roller cam 112 Lsa 0.596 lift

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
To check timing u have to put it in diagnostic mode. Bridge pins 5 and 6 on the obsd under the steering wheel.

Stock reg 1:1 fuel pressure will be 43-45 psi.

I highly doubt 36lbs will be enough man. My mate went 60lb's with 43psi on his 550hp motor.

Boost I'm not too sure of reg rise wether u need rising or not but on all NA motors my mates have 400-600Hp they have all used stock regs. As the hold steady and don't fluctuate.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
To check timing u have to put it in diagnostic mode. Bridge pins 5 and 6 on the obsd under the steering wheel.

Stock reg 1:1 fuel pressure will be 43-45 psi.

I highly doubt 36lbs will be enough man. My mate went 60lb's with 43psi on his 550hp motor.

Boost I'm not too sure of reg rise wether u need rising or not but on all NA motors my mates have 400-600Hp they have all used stock regs. As the hold steady and don't fluctuate.

Yeah cava had pins 5 and 6 connected no fault codes and when it was running with the pins still crossed over it was 18 degrees advanced with engine hot !!!

And I agree with u on the injectors and fuel pressure this is what I think it should be to 43 psi at idle and 60 pound injectors !!! I'm starting to think new tuner

With boost need rising rate regulator 1:1
And this regulator does not fluctuate with its PSI I spoke with the guy from ghost autos where I got all my fuel system he sells to lots of race cars and motor sports and he said this regulators hold pressure steady when used with the 044 pumps and my gauge says the same steady at 52-55 PSI then rises with bit of revs as vacuum goes from -12 to about -2 psi manifold pressure

I know on stock regulator u need the other part on fuel line that compensates the fuel pump Pulse this regulator has that built into it

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Speak to ur tuner mate...that's all I can say.

Although your injectors are not enough.

E85 or 98. I've got 42lbs on my vz with 65psi. An it's a baby head and cam. I wanted to go e85 and I was told ill need 60's

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Speak to ur tuner mate...that's all I can say.

Although your injectors are not enough.

E85 or 98. I've got 42lbs on my vz with 65psi. An it's a baby head and cam. I wanted to go e85 and I was told ill need 60's

Yeah been talking to a mate with vs his plates are fat ss nice car with blowen 355, getting some info from where he got his tuned and what he is running, he has 60 lbs at around 43 psi !!!
I got a few people to call and ask what they recommend so ill do that and see what they say about different ways of running things

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Hi got a 355 stroker all the good gear check out my thread !!! At the moment it is running N/A the blower belt is not connected and is in a run in tune, I have touched 6 000RPM twice and it has set of the knock sensior (engine light)
My timing with the aldl earthed is 18 degrees
Timing with it not earthed is 28 at idle and rises to up around 40 with a rev around 3500

This does not sound quite right to me !!! i think this is to advanced ,what do use think ???

Now I had low indepence 880 cc injectors ( was goin to use heltech) but am not using it , so when it went in for tune they put a set of 36 pound high indepence injectors in it

My tune says these will be big enough with blower connected with the fuel pressure up around 55psi

I'm not a tuner but I would of thought 60 pound injectors with lower fuel pressure so it has room to rise (rising rate regulator) would of been better, what do use wreckin ???

Looking at around the 550 hp at tyres fully tuned

Please give me any feed back on these issues???

Your timing should be 10 degrees in diagnostic mode-base timing
Same as any other holden 304 bridge pin 5 and 6.
18 deg is way too much,im suprised it starts without too much trouble.
Also 36lb at 55 psi is more like 40lb give or take.
THose figures quoted like the 60lb injectors are at 43psi
so at 58psi which ls1s run at, its flow rate is alot higher.
I would have gone for 42lb but all depends
on the engine most and boost level.
You havent really gone into much detail with engine
specs and apart from injectors also got no idea what fuel pump your using.
Bit more info would prob help.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Your timing should be 10 degrees in diagnostic mode-base timing
Same as any other holden 304 bridge pin 5 and 6.
18 deg is way too much,im suprised it starts without too much trouble.
Also 36lb at 55 psi is more like 40lb give or take.
THose figures quoted like the 60lb injectors are at 43psi
so at 58psi which ls1s run at, its flow rate is alot higher.
I would have gone for 42lb but all depends
on the engine most and boost level.
You havent really gone into much detail with engine
specs and apart from injectors also got no idea what fuel pump your using.
Bit more info would prob help.

Trap I know 10 degrees in diagnostic mode is the factory setting and most ur at 14 in factory engine !!!

This is a long way from stock if I list what this has ill take up 2 pages , that's why I said look at my thread, its has 355 stroker built from pavtek based on there gold pro motor with few things changed for boost so it got forged crank, h beam ,rods ,srp forged blower pistons ,the heads are pored as far as they can go , valves are 2.02 - 1.65 with all the good gear , yella terra adjustable rockers , come twin throttle body manifold , msd ignition , big solid roller cam , 2 -044 pumps the list goes on and on

It starts fine and runs fine no pinging, but like I said when I hit bit over 6 000 rpm the engine light come on so knock sensior was set off, ill talk to my tuner on Monday and ask what he set it at and if it was 18 ill ask why so hight

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
All 304/355 engines should be 10 deg in diagnostic not 12-14 or 18 ..
Idle should be 18-24 deg depending on mods when not in diagnostic mode.
Only way to accurately check anything other than idle is to log data as that will tell the real story.
Timing light are good to set base idle and thats it.
I would go to a 60lb injector by the sound of it too.
These sorts of things better to go to the tuner rather than forums where you get mixed info.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
18 is not unusual for low comp start. low comp more advance needed to fire (no idea what you have as I have not read). some cars need up to 25. forget holden 10 as you no longer have a holden 304. fyi whatever dissy says is what it starts at. Advance ( at idle or whatever ) only happens once ur motor is running - NOT at start.

btw, ur manifold pressures do not seem ok