Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What size amp for 6x9 and what size amp for subs

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Ok, i have bought Pioneer 4-way 6" x 9" TS-A6981S 420 Watt Speakers and have them in the rear shelf (80watt nominal rating)...

I want to buy 16cm 4-way 260 watt speakers from Pioneer (TS-A1681S) for the front speakers (50watt nominal rating) and probably **** the back speakers off...

I dont really want to go nuts with my money so what type of amp would be appropriate for running the 6" x 9"s....

I am also looking to buy 2 Pioneer TS-W306C 12" Subwoofers. They have 1,000watt maximum power and 400watt nominal rating...What type of amp will i need to buy to run the subs. Is one amp enough or do i need two amps, one for each sub...

I have a pioneer DEH-P7750 head unit if that makes any difference, notice that i want all pionner so far, i'm not fussed if the amps are not pioneer, just whatever suits best....

Also if anyone can tell me what type of amp if i only end up having one sub as well....

Last edited:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Im gonna reccomend some Soundstream amps as thats just the brand I like..

For the Subs...If you get both subs, go the Picasso 2 channel amp. PCA.760, its 760RMS x 1 at 2Ohms.

For one sub get the XSTREAM XTA 360.2 which is 360rms x 1.

For the 6x9's get the Picasso PCA2.520 which is 80rms x 2 at 4 Ohms.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
I run a 800w Weconic 4 ch 125rms @ 2 ohms running my sub and 75rms for my 6 x 9's.... Any Amp from Germany or Europe is the goods. I like Alpine for Amps

Even a Mono Block is something to think about

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Whats the difference with Mono, 2 channel and 4 channel, etc. How do you determine what amp to get, am i s'posed to look at the rms or the watt...I dont get it...! Help!

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
no, not unless i have to Vn2nV...I just want one amp for my 6x9's and one amp for 2 1000w subs. but if i cant do that then just one amp for 6x9's and one amp for just one sub.....

What should the max watt be to power the 6x9's....

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whats the difference with Mono, 2 channel and 4 channel, etc. How do you determine what amp to get, am i s'posed to look at the rms or the watt...I dont get it...! Help!

Always go by the RMS rating.

Pioneer says Nominal ratings, which is equivalent to RMS. So try and find an amp that is closely matched to the speakers RMS/Nominal Rating, but the amp shouldnt really be more powerful than the speaker. It should be equal or slightly less. See herefor information on matching speakers to an amp.

Mono amps are generally the pick for Subs. As they are just a 1 channel amp. Just think about it like this, one channel per speaker. But really it doesnt matter, as a 2 channel amp can be run as a 1 channel anyway, and a 4 can be run as a 2 or 1 also.

Amps give different power ratings depending on the Resitance. This resistance is called Ohms. With most subs, they can run with as little as 2 Ohms resistance and some even at 1 Ohm. Those Pioneer subs can be run at 2Ohms, where as speakers are generally only able to be run at 4 Ohms. A speaker/subs IMPEDANCE is what it can be run at on an amp. See here for information on running amps on lower than reccomended impedance.

So when looking at an amp for the speakers, you must go by the power rating at 4 Ohms. Where as the subs you generally look at an amps power at 2 Ohms or at 4Ohms bridged. But it gets more complicated here. This then varies on how you wire them, if they are bridged, if the sub is a single coil or dual coil and how many Ohms the sub actually runs at.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
next person to make a reference to or post a link to Lightning Audio is banned for eternity.

The next time my wife brings home a pair of Lightning Audio speakers from Wal-Mart because they were on clearance equals a divorce.

The next time anyone takes advice from Lightning Audio website ends up being balanced with 2oz of lead through the left ear hole.

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
so im guessing you really like there gear king ???

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
next person to make a reference to or post a link to Lightning Audio is banned for eternity.

The next time my wife brings home a pair of Lightning Audio speakers from Wal-Mart because they were on clearance equals a divorce.

The next time anyone takes advice from Lightning Audio website ends up being balanced with 2oz of lead through the left ear hole.

lol sorry man. Will keep that in mind in future.

I wasnt reccomending their gear... I was just using their support section to help explain stuff :p . I found the website pretty good with the Wiring Wizard when I first started fiddling with subs a few years ago.

No harm done I hope :thumbsup: