Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What size Cam is too BIG for my ss

kerrie0400

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
As the title says im looking toput a cam in my vy ss, it has 2.5" cat back exhaust with extractors, its auto and thats pretty much it.i will be buying a otr before i get a tune done after the cam is in.

i was reading street machine and they recommend the 220/220 114 camshaft, i have youtube it but im not sure if it sounds lumpy enough for me, i really want that nice lumpy sound in saying that i dont want to have to do alot of work to achieve this.

i also know 232/234 is popular what would i need to do to put this one in what upgrades stall converter??
i also like the 228/230 cams but keeping in mind i have an auto would this be to big of a cam?

can anyone recommend a great cam with a nice lumpy sound, i do want to install it myself and if anyone knows of a better cam please comment???

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Big cams are great for lumpy idles but you also need to think about what you are going to do with the car. If you go too big you will find the car is a pig to drive on the street. FWIW I'd recommend something small and get the tuner to drop the idle a hundred revs or so.

Reaper

waynep91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais
how does that work i am interested in this and how much roughly would that cost to do

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Just take a plug lead off if you want it to shake = FREE lol

Really it's your converter that will hold you back.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
how does that work i am interested in this and how much roughly would that cost to do

I know MACE do remote tunes with something called a "ghostcam" which is pretty much a wanker version of a cammed lumpy idle. I see it as a waste of time.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Is your exhaust a twin 2.5 or only a single?? im assuming its the twin cause otherwise id probably be fixing that before i put a cam in it

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
For a 232/234 cam you would want a stall and diff gears. I'm pretty sure most places would recommend 3.9's or so for a cam that size.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
they recommend the 220/220 114 camshaft

If you changed the Lobe Separation (LSA) from 114 to a 111 it would be lumpy and go really well on the street