Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What size Cam to get

wooddyy85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
hey guys just about to get a cam done, just wondering what all your thoughts are and if you have one already.
what size and what kw's are you at now?
how has it affected your cars driveability?
how has it affected fuel consumption.
How is your clutch holding up?
im already at 245kw at the wheels looking for around the 330 mark.

I already have OTR full 3" Exhaust with headers.

cheers and look forward to your thoughts and responses.

Last edited:

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
Instead of older grinds that a lot of people have already, i'd be looking at some of the new Comp Cams signle bolt cams designed to suit the new L98/L76/LS3 heads (which is what you have). Also they bolt straight in with the stock cam sprocket and chain.

This is a great one for broad power range:

146-426-11 - XFI

And a set of PAC 1518's and a tune and you're set! Prob around the 280rwkw mark and still very good down low.

wooddyy85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
thanks brad just looking at that site now looks alright and probably a pretty good option but i was hoping for about 330kw

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
330rwkw is gonna be bloody hard to get without losing a lot of driveability. i'd consider getting a LS3 long engine for about $6k and selling the L98 for about $3k. so u'll be $3k out of pocket but have a higher compression ratio and higher capacity which will both allow u to run a bigger cam and still have daily driveability. Comp make some new big "LSr" grinds for the new engines too.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
330rwkw is gonna be bloody hard to get without losing a lot of driveability. i'd consider getting a LS3 long engine for about $6k and selling the L98 for about $3k. so u'll be $3k out of pocket but have a higher compression ratio and higher capacity which will both allow u to run a bigger cam and still have daily driveability. Comp make some new big "LSr" grinds for the new engines too.

Tell me more about these LS3 long engines... where are they available from and what power do they produce?

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
A lot of Holden dealers sell LS3 crate engines, a lot of tuners sell them, Holmart sells them, etc. Cammed, tuned and supported by all the bolt ons, you'll see anywhere from 300-350rwkw and a bucket load of torque.