Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What size is the diff pinion nut on VX SS II

Bush mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 2002 VX SS
After installing a complete rear cradle, I discovered that the diff pinion seal is leaking. So off, comes the exhaust, tail shaft and rear coupling again. Then my socket wasn't deep enough to go over the nut.
So I've gotta go and buy a deep 1/2" drive socket, but I'm not sure if it's a 27mm 28mm or 29mm it looks to be one of those 3 but I'd rather buy just the right one than fork out for 3 of them. I've never needed a deep socket in that large size before and I probably never will again.

I've gotta buy a special socket for the hex bolts on the rear tail shaft coupling and I need to buy a special socket for the oil pressure sender switch as well. I'm taking samples of those with me but I just couldn't measure that pinion nut clearly because it's recessed inside the snout.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
There are a couple of different sizes I’ve come across, you’ll need to measure it. Pinion seal is a very difficult one to get right unfortunately. Need to get preload exactly right once you’ve done it - mark the position of the nut prior to removal

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fairly sure mine was 30mm deep socket. I can check tonight.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just checked a vy l67 one I have here. 30mm. My vx ss diff was 32mm but I think that had been previously rebuilt.

Bush mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 2002 VX SS
There are a couple of different sizes I’ve come across, you’ll need to measure it. Pinion seal is a very difficult one to get right unfortunately. Need to get preload exactly right once you’ve done it - mark the position of the nut prior to removal
I ended up buying 28mm 29mm and 30mm deep sockets, the 28 and 29 wouldn't go on and the 30 feels lose but I have to go with it.

I'm worried about getting the right preload tension on the bearing, I'm going to mark the nut and surrounding area then count the number of turns it takes to come off. So I just hope I don't lose count or get it wrong.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A touch more pre-load won't hurt as the bearings will have loosened up a bit with time so it will take out some of that slack but literally only a touch more. Mark it, remove and replace the seal, put it back to the exact mark it was on and then add another 1/4 flat on nut and it'll be sweet. don't forget to smear the inside of the seal with oil before fitting. If you fit it dry there is a good chance it will leak again.

Bush mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 2002 VX SS
A touch more pre-load won't hurt as the bearings will have loosened up a bit with time so it will take out some of that slack but literally only a touch more. Mark it, remove and replace the seal, put it back to the exact mark it was on and then add another 1/4 flat on nut and it'll be sweet. don't forget to smear the inside of the seal with oil before fitting. If you fit it dry there is a good chance it will leak again.
Thanks for the advice but I saw it too late, I ended up doing everything except I didn't put any oil on the seal. Now I just need to attach the handbrake cables, but they don't have enough slack to slip on the little leavers.

There's no adjustment underneath, so I'm wondering if the hand brake leaver has any adjustment behind it. I don't want to pull the console out if there's no adjustment there.

Thanks again