Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What sized speakers off standard head unit?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Please excuse my ignorance but I don't know a lot about sound systems.:whistling I've changed the front speakers in the VY to 50 watt or something and put around the same wattage speakers in the rear parcel shelf, some second-hand **** brand I got given. They fit the removable sections in the VY parcel shelf. To connect them I disconnected the rear door speakers and tapped the wires. I did all this ages ago, they're all just running off the standard VY blaupunkt headunit which I am going to keep. However when I turn the volume up over about 45 the speakers cut in and out slightly. Is there a limit on the wattage I can put in without an amp and if so what do you reckon would be the max? I may buy some decent 6x9's for the parcel shelf. Thanks.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
In short theres no "limit" on wattage speakers that you can run off the head-unit.

If you were to go out and buy 100wrms (something like 300w max i suppose) speakers and mounted them properly, when they start to distort its more than likely not the speakers distorting, its the head-unit thats sending the speaker a distorted signal. So basically what im saying is you wont get the maximum volume out of those speakers when running them off the head-unit.

Probably this is whats happening at the moment with your speakers, but "cut in and out slightly" dosent sound like distortion, it sounds more like theres a speaker wire touching metal or each other a tiny bit, and only becomes a problem when theres a more current passing through. Its hard to diagnose though over the net.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Ok thanks for that Holdenboy, i may look into buying decent 6x9's for the parcel shelf and maybe something better in the front doors too. I'm not after a total "blast your brains out" sound, just good quality and maybe "occasional" excessive volume.

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Most headunits put out 50w x 4 at max, so more than likely it is 12-15WRMS x4. So speakers with an RMS rating of up to ~40Watts should be fine.

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
ok just disabled the auto distortion inhibitor thingy in the calais and now the speakers are show their true (dull) colours. Would replacing all (10 I believe) of the speakers with decent quality ones be the best option or disabling all except 4 or 6 and just replace them? I don't need a great system but these are pretty bad.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
If i was you and just wanted a small increase in sound output/SQ i would just replace the front speakers with decent quality co-axials (around $80-$100) and leave it at that for the time being. If youre still not happy then go for a set of 6x9s in the parcel shelf (disconnect the rear door speakers), I'd imagne a good set would cost $120-$140 or so. Generally i dont suggest 6x9s but in your case they provide better bass output over the stock 6" speakers and dont cost all that much.

You will have to "punch out" the peices of sheet metal in the parcel shelf, and buy some speaker grills to install in place of the peices of cardboard on the parcel shelf, but it will be worth the extra trouble as opposed to just replacing the rear speakers with co-axials, thats ofcourse if upgrading the fronts dosent provide enough improvement. ;)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
ok just disabled the auto distortion inhibitor thingy in the calais and now the speakers are show their true (dull) colours. Would replacing all (10 I believe) of the speakers with decent quality ones be the best option or disabling all except 4 or 6 and just replace them? I don't need a great system but these are pretty bad.

My first step, if it was me, would be to disconect the 2x factory subs, and add a decent 10inch, or possibly a 12, depending on your listening style. I've heard a few of the Factory Premium Systems, and i find the factory sub's, produce too much mid bass, which muddles the sound, and tends to drown out the higher notes, that would hear with a better set of splits, or coaxials.

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
where are the factory subs?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
where are the factory subs?

you should have 2 8 inch subs in the rear shelf...do you not? what model Calais are we talking about hear? and all though it say's 10 speakers, it only has 8, 2 of the speakers are two way, which to Holden, added up to 10...

Last edited: