Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What sized speakers off standard head unit?

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
thats probably why i couldn't find the last two. It's an '04 VZ Calais. Do you know what size are in the doors.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
6" speakers in the doors.

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
ok no subs, had a look and only one parcel shelf speaker was plugged in. sorted that. with the so called premium factory systems are there more outputs or the 4 outputs divvied up to however many speakers you have? If so then would disabling unneeded ones ie rear doors enhance the remaining?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
In short theres no "limit" on wattage speakers that you can run off the head-unit.

If you were to go out and buy 100wrms (something like 300w max i suppose) speakers and mounted them properly, when they start to distort its more than likely not the speakers distorting, its the head-unit thats sending the speaker a distorted signal. So basically what im saying is you wont get the maximum volume out of those speakers when running them off the head-unit.

Probably this is whats happening at the moment with your speakers, but "cut in and out slightly" dosent sound like distortion, it sounds more like theres a speaker wire touching metal or each other a tiny bit, and only becomes a problem when theres a more current passing through. Its hard to diagnose though over the net.
Ok today I tried the system to see how much sound would come out of her. When the volume was up around 47 the passenger's side speakers front and rear stopped altogether until I turned the h'unit off and on again. Oh yeah I checked and I have 60 watt three ways in the front and 30 watt cheap pioneer subs in the parcel shelf. It's always the left hand side that cuts out and/or stops.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I'd be checking the wiring at the speakers first.

How did you connect the wiring to the speaker?

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
the thread stayed quiet for a few days so I re-invigorated it. Go back to VYMAD's question. He's back baby.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I'd be checking the wiring at the speakers first.

How did you connect the wiring to the speaker?

I don't see why that would cause front AND back to stop working at high volume until the headunit is switched off and on?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
The head-unit will have some type of protection built in i'd imagine, hence the reason why you have to turn off/on the unit for it to work again. Alot of aftermarket head-units have this function too.
Maybe its only one speaker thats causing the problem, but the signal is being affected on the one side (the left in your case).