Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what software is needed for tuning vs v6 ecotec..

shwarno

Shwarnostics!
Reaction score
Website
www.dirtydepo.piczo.com
Members Ride
VS Ute S-PACK V6
what software is there.. if any to tune a v6 ecotec vs. ? is there any or do i have to upgrade to a haltec of similer

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you can tune the VS with tunerpro and a burner.... but you need a definition file which isn't out in the public domain yet it seems. seeing as fitting a piggyback system isn't actually legal i guess it's best to go with kalmaker as atleast yur still using the original delco setup

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
there is a partial definition file out there if you know where to look and how to fiddle with tunerpro

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Find someone who tunes the factory Delco and get it tuned properly on a dyno. Cheaper than any of these piggyback jobs (up to a certain performance point) and much better than a generic tune chip.

I used to run Kalmaker.. not anymore! cold starts were cr@p. Some of my mates that run kalmaker continue to have tune difficulties.

Personally I would never run a generic "mailorder" tune. Why do it when a dyno tune is not that much more expensive, and can be taylored specifically for your engine = maximum gains can be achieved.

Just my opinion..

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Get with the times man, you need a Haltech.......seems to be the way to go these days! *Note: Sarcasm intended*

REV-231: You say get it tuned on a dyno, but then you say Kalmaker is crap??? I don't know what the tuner you go to uses, but all the tuners i know of use Kalmaker to tune the Delco on a dyno. As far as i was aware that is the only program you can use to tune the Delco in real time.....

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Get with the times man, you need a Haltech.......seems to be the way to go these days! *Note: Sarcasm intended*

REV-231: You say get it tuned on a dyno, but then you say Kalmaker is crap??? I don't know what the tuner you go to uses, but all the tuners i know of use Kalmaker to tune the Delco on a dyno. As far as i was aware that is the only program you can use to tune the Delco in real time.....

When i went and got my ecu setup the 1st time the tuner said that i had to purchase a piggyback ecu, this was back when i didnt know anything abut commos. He said its called Kalmaker the ecu cost around 1k plus tuning. It ran like SH!T and didnt gain anything! went to another tuner (current one) he said scrap all that setup that the other guy did, back to stock ecu and tune that.

Now she runs beautifully and none of the rubbish i went thru before, and heaps of power. i still know little about the technical side of tuning, but through 4 tunes with the current tuner nothing about Kalmaker has ever been mentioned??? also cost me a couple hundred to fine tune now, as opposed to much more with whatever was in there before!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The stock ecu and kalmaker are the same thing, it's just a stock ecu that's been modified to have some ram in it so you can change the tune in real time. If someone else is doing the tune he would have pluged his kalmaker (modified stock ecu) in your car then run it on the dyno, adjust it up. Burn the final tune on a memcal and whack it in your ecu. So the difference was in the guy doing the tuning. Also he might have just burnt your tune a few times untill it was right and just used a non real time stock ecu, makes no difference just that it's not as fast. Like stocky mentioned the partial definition that's currently still being worked on for the super 6 (not sure who's doing it) has allready got enough tables complete to tune most VS's and it's easy to change the address's to a stock NA tune

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
what software is there.. if any to tune a v6 ecotec vs. ? is there any or do i have to upgrade to a haltec of similer

id call getting a haltec a downgrade...but thats just me.
as already said, kalmaker software is capable of tuning the delco pcm without the need for aftermarket ecu's.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
delco are the bomb
remapping it is better
gibbs your was done with kalmaker
kalmarker is good mine works fine