Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What sort of gain can I expect after these mods?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Doing up an old car does not make it a new car at all, it will still always be an old car.

I wrote a half page long post explaining exactly why you cant turn a vs into a new car, but i think its best summed up by simply pointing out that a VS is old technology. Everything on it is borrowed from some other old GM design. For that reason, it will never be a new car.

Well that was a waste of a half page then lol... of course you can make it a new car. Not a new design, not a new technology, but with every part of it new, its a new car. It will have less tech thingys to break, less software to go wrong, all of that stuff... but it will be new.

Technology may make life more comfortable and whizzbang but its not always reliable, especially when its still relatively new. Ask anyone who lives in the bush which Cruiser they would trust more.. the good old 80 series or the modern push-button start 200 series. Drop one of those into water and see what happens to it..

Ask Rufys, who just bought a beautiful VE Wagon with 7000kms on it and has already had to disconnect the battery to reboot the software that runs the dash displays.

You cant make a VS into a VE.. but you can make a brand new VS that will probably outlast a VE. Sure, it will have a less efficient drivetrain. Sure, it wont have IQ. But it will still be new, and last just as long if not longer.

Last edited:

Robb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
The amount of money spent on a turbo setup (and get it to run for longer then 10,000km) or ls1 conversion could get you a xr6t and probably 300rwkw.

BuckeTs

Carngizusakiss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
Wheres the fun in just buying a car ready to go, and not injecting your own personality into it? I'd prefer an older car rebuilt to suit my personal taste to a newer unmodified one that doesnt.

I liked the **** out of this quote ^^^^
Waaaaayyyyy rather have an older car thats unique and got my personality than having a new car thats just a car...

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Well that was a waste of a half page then lol... of course you can make it a new car. Not a new design, not a new technology, but with every part of it new, its a new car. It will have less tech thingys to break, less software to go wrong, all of that stuff... but it will be new.

Technology may make life more comfortable and whizzbang but its not always reliable, especially when its still relatively new. Ask anyone who lives in the bush which Cruiser they would trust more.. the good old 80 series or the modern push-button start 200 series. Drop one of those into water and see what happens to it..

Ask Rufys, who just bought a beautiful VE Wagon with 7000kms on it and has already had to disconnect the battery to reboot the software that runs the dash displays.

You cant make a VS into a VE.. but you can make a brand new VS that will probably outlast a VE. Sure, it will have a less efficient drivetrain. Sure, it wont have IQ. But it will still be new, and last just as long if not longer.

Where is this idea about a VS with 30 grand poured into it outlasting a new VE coming from?

And i dont think its really a valid point at all, if OP wanted to own a car that would outlast, but not outperform a VE (In any aspect at all) why doesnt he go get a D21 navara or something?

Dont get me wrong, I love my commodores, but the suggestion that pouring thousands and thousands of dollars into a clapped out VS is going to make it more powerful, more reliable, better handling or more comfortible than a late model XR6t is just insane. In the long run, youll save money and end up with a better car if you go buy a later model car thats tidy and you dont mod it or thrash it

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
wow and i thought i was an old fart. not a car enthusiast at all are you?

ripper6

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs acclaim
Honestly a v6 after the work you want to do will make it quicker but it will still be a v6 at the end of the day. My old man has a bf xr6t and it's stock and goes mental I'd rather save my hard earned for one of those. I'm young too man but I'm not chasing power out of my vs v6. I'm guessing your on your P's too just wait it out and buy what you really want there's no need to have a lot of power while on your P's anyway just to show how quick you are off the lights? But still it's your car by all means do what you want to it just remember it'll always be a v6

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
Honestly a v6 after the work you want to do will make it quicker but it will still be a v6 at the end of the day. My old man has a bf xr6t and it's stock and goes mental I'd rather save my hard earned for one of those. I'm young too man but I'm not chasing power out of my vs v6. I'm guessing your on your P's too just wait it out and buy what you really want there's no need to have a lot of power while on your P's anyway just to show how quick you are off the lights? But still it's your car by all means do what you want to it just remember it'll always be a v6

Doesnt matter if its a V6 V8 or straight 6… I take it your more a V8 fan than V6 lol… Chuck a turbo on a V6 and it would go just as hard if not even HARDER then a xr6t and LS1 or 5ltr or whatever. BUT of course that depends on PSI and tune etc Although im a fan of xr6t and yes they do pull hard especially newer ones but would rather chuck a turbo on my VR/S and spend money on it then buy a xr6t at the end of the day its just a straight 6 with a turbo helping it get along just like the V6 with a turbo.. :spot on:

ripper6

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs acclaim
Doesnt matter if its a V6 V8 or straight 6… I take it your more a V8 fan than V6 lol… Chuck a turbo on a V6 and it would go just as hard if not even HARDER then a xr6t and LS1 or 5ltr or whatever. BUT of course that depends on PSI and tune etc Although im a fan of xr6t and yes they do pull hard especially newer ones but would rather chuck a turbo on my VR/S and spend money on it then buy a xr6t at the end of the day its just a straight 6 with a turbo helping it get along just like the V6 with a turbo.. :spot on:

It comes down to tune your right mate but look at an average v6 with say 200,000 how long would it hold up with boost ? Yeah you can rebuild/forge but still come on I don't think it would hold up too good and isnt the ecotec high comp? And turbo kits $4000-$5000+ what if you put that amount of money into a barra and see where you go ? But I do see your point mate it all depends on the person I spose

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
It comes down to tune your right mate but look at an average v6 with say 200,000 how long would it hold up with boost ? Yeah you can rebuild/forge but still come on I don't think it would hold up too good and isnt the ecotec high comp? And turbo kits $4000-$5000+ what if you put that amount of money into a barra and see where you go ? But I do see your point mate it all depends on the person I spose

Yeah the tune is important as you know… Not sure if you have seen the pro flow test car for there turbo kit??? internally unopened ecotec with over 400,000km on the clock running 19psi and 11s… Only thing that was done to that was a set of yella terra rockers… Noob but what is a barra???? Also it really depends how well the motor has been treated with how long it will hold up with boost.. some motors will blow within a week but some may last years.. Its a gamble really. Dont get me wrong i like newer cars the thing i hate is the stupid technology their is soooo much in them but at the same time its good..

ripper6

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs acclaim
Yeah the tune is important as you know… Not sure if you have seen the pro flow test car for there turbo kit??? internally unopened ecotec with over 400,000km on the clock running 19psi and 11s… Only thing that was done to that was a set of yella terra rockers… Noob but what is a barra???? Also it really depends how well the motor has been treated with how long it will hold up with boost.. some motors will blow within a week but some may last years.. Its a gamble really. Dont get me wrong i like newer cars the thing i hate is the stupid technology their is soooo much in them but at the same time its good..

11.s ?? Deadset! Bloody hell haha I guess it's worth it to the right person by all means build a v6 turbo I'm sure it'll go hard. And a barra is the straight6 in xr's and the only reason I'm saying just wait and buy one of those is I'm getting my old mans in June :) but yeah with me I'd rather wait and put my money into one of those and don't get me wrong there are some tuff v6's out there but I'm not fan of them even though I own one haha