Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What sound system is best for me?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
VKStevo said:
ok maybe that came out wrong, and its 18 lol

um, well for a system that used 2 run straight off the head unit, it used 2 crank heaps and put out a fair bit of bass

now ive chucked subs in with amps 2 run them and if i crank it up i could probably deafen myself, so for that 18 watts it cranks pretty nicely, of course i intend 2 put new components in the front and run amps 2 them so i can get clearer sound, not louder

and with the alpines, they have 4 volt preouts which give better sound and stuff than the normal 2 volt 1's

hope u understand wot i mean

Yeh mate, i get what you mean about the 4V preouts- but just one thing
You know that the internal amplifier in the HU has little effect on your subs, as you're running from pre-outs- these come from before the power amplifier

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
ok im not quite understanding wot u r getting at

when i bought my head unit, i had a choice of 1 that had 1 2V preout, or another 1 that had 3 4V preouts for $50 more, i was advised to go for the 2nd 1 because of the more preouts, it is easier to set up amplifiers to the speakers, about the 4V, they told me it wouldnt make the subs any louder, but what told me what it does do is reduce the level of noise that u get with the 2V preouts

if thats wrong, blame tonkins, not me

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
its not wrong at all, its just not a huge importance in most proples stereos.

semi: you know i cant spell at all! do you pick on disabled people usually :p
(just j/k)

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
VKStevo said:
ok im not quite understanding wot u r getting at

when i bought my head unit, i had a choice of 1 that had 1 2V preout, or another 1 that had 3 4V preouts for $50 more, i was advised to go for the 2nd 1 because of the more preouts, it is easier to set up amplifiers to the speakers, about the 4V, they told me it wouldnt make the subs any louder, but what told me what it does do is reduce the level of noise that u get with the 2V preouts

if thats wrong, blame tonkins, not me

no, no what im saying is that the 18W RMS i quoted before doesnt effect your sound when you are using an external amp. The 4V preouts do have an effect.

garfa, i made that point because i was being cynical :D

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
semi said:
no, no what im saying is that the 18W RMS i quoted before doesnt effect your sound when you are using an external amp. The 4V preouts do have an effect.
oh yeh i no that, i was just confused as to wot i sed that made u tell me that, oh well

but personally how the speakers are set up now, from the 18 watts it puts out compared to friends who have different brands, i think mine puts out much better sound just from the head unit, of course i want better eventually so i will run all my speakers off amps then turn the internal amplifier off so it can put all of its power towards playing better quality music

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
of course you're right, some HU's will give a cleaner sound from their internal amps, though i doubt there would be much difference in volume

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
for my friends clarion setup that he had off the head unit, it would go about a similar volume b4 it would distort but he was only putting out about a quarter of the bass that mine would at the same volume and mine was also clearer

i personally think alpine is a very good brand

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
alpine is good, but not THAT good

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
yeh but u pay 4 wot u get, if u want an awesome soundstream system or somthing, u pay massive amounts of money

alpine seem better than average and therefore cost a bit more, but are not over the top like brands like soundstream

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i dont feel that alpine is either here nor there. sure they have had some interesting things but most sompanies do. people put too much value on brands.