Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What sound system is best for me?

B

big_c_43

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sound systems are good and which ones are not.
I was also wondering what set up would be best for my car? I have a VK commodore, there arent any speakers in the front doors and i dont want to cut any wholes.
I have about $1000 to spend, so plz tell me what u think would be best for me to do.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
from personal experience the system that is right for you may be absolute crap for the next person. with 1000 bucks you wont get the best of the best but something decent all the same. 200 on a head unit (it will be basic but shop around for one with more than 1 pre-out) 400 bucks on an amp. 200-300ish on a sub in a box or spend it on a sub alone and build the box. around 150 for some entry level splits up the front and a bit under 100 for some basic 6" for the rear fill. bridge 2 channels of the amp for the sub and run the splits off the other 2 channels. rears off the head unit. brands... i like pioneer for the mid quality speakers and maybe a kenwood head unit. decent prices for their lower end stuff but i know their prices get a bit crazy at the top end. cabling will be extra but you may be able to pull some cables from somewhere cheap. if you dont want to cut holes build some speaker pods. buying them is expensive they go for around 150 a pair which i didnt feel like paying. i shop at jb and find if your nice and ask for a discount they seem to go crazy and think they will lose a sale so cut heaps off the price. do the install yourself and save a lot there also. its not hard

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
$1000 isnt much to spend. If i were u i'd get a decent head unit *about the 400-500 dollar mark* and then buy a good set of 6x9's for your parcel shelf and a little amp to run them. Then if/when u want better stuff u atleast have a decent head unit and rear speakers. so u wont have to spend an extra $600 on head unit and another set of better speakers. U gutta try and look in the long run not just the short term situation. Im on my third sound system and have spent over $6000 on the **** coz i didnt research when i first bought stuff. But u might ot be as fussy as me. Im not only a big fan of music but also a musician and demand the best sound for my car, coz i spend alot of 'Dazza' Time in it. So dont go cheap if ur just gunna upgrade anyway.

Just tryin to help, so u dont make the same mistake i did :)

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Hang on...6x9 and 'decent' in the same sentence...nah...do yourself a favour, and if you plan on running a sub in the future, get 6" or 6.5" threeways for the rear. If you're going for SQ that is.

The best sound system for you is one that sounds good to your ears. The only way you'll know if the equipment is right for you is to listen to it. You can look at all the numbers in the world, and get as much advice from people as you want, but no one can tell you what will sound 'good' to your ears.

B

big_c_43

i have seen in catalogs that they put together some pretty good sound system packages. Do u think i might be able to find a good package for around $1000. Also what brands are good and wot are not.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
i originally wrote a whole bunch of non relevant info - this is what happens when you dont pay attention to the actual question, sorry for the inconvenience.
so i amend my post to agree with the others:

Mainstream head unit, 2 channel amp, 6x9's.

The rule when buying car audio equipment is never pay full price. Bargain and dont be afraid to walk out. Good luck

Last edited:

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
big_c_43 said:
i have seen in catalogs that they put together some pretty good sound system packages. Do u think i might be able to find a good package for around $1000. Also what brands are good and wot are not.

Any brand can be good if u buy their high quality stuff.

Brands like Sony, Pioneer and Kenwood are generally cheap for how good they are for the lower range stuff. And alot of the more premier gear comes from brands like Rockford fosgate, Alpine, Focal etc etc. Every brand has cheap stuff and expensive stuff. I bought all fusion stuff **liked the black n green theme and liked the little alien :D** and i bought the middle range stuff *still not very expensive* and i'd crack between 120db and 130db, just goin off what mates have and how loud theirs was. although mine can go loud i just like it to sound good, which is does.

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
i think he said no holes, so its gonna be hard to get some good staging with no speakers in the front.

just go for some 6x9s and a decent head unit.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
To me it sounds like you dont wanna worry about SQ or SPL just somthing above average, for a 1000 get a pionerr/kenwood deal from stathfield and you''ll be allright. But it might be worth cutting holes in your doors consider this more carefully. You need a front stage, after all this is where you sit.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
yip. why not do the holes? are u tryin to keep the car original or anything like that?. It might be worth chasing down some 2nd hand door trims and just trying that and if u dont want them OR u wanna sell the car then u can put the old trims back in. Just a suggestion :)