Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what sound system should i put in my vs ute?

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
i have a full alpine setup in my vs ute,
alpine deck,
type s splits with tweeters in dash,
type s sub under the tray next to fuel tank in custom box
alpine 4ch amp.

cost me around 1200 for everything brand new and put it all in myself.
best system out of all my mates in there sedans. very loud and clear :)

click my link down bellow for some more info in my build :)

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
sony explode aint bad.....

You're kidding right?

Redvs....it depends how much you want to spend. A basic headunit, and the best splits you can afford for starters, then if the budget stretches a bit, add an amp, then if its a bit bigger again sound deaden at least your doors.
If you let me know a budget I can quote you on a system based on your needs.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Dont get Sony xplode. There not very good at all.

For a head unit go either Pioneer,Alpine
For front splits i would be looking at Pioneer,Alpine,Focal,
For a subwoofer i would get a 10 or a 12inch dual voice coil sub.
Focal make a entry level splits that are pretty good and can handle 60w rms.

godatfourdigital

Reaction score
Members Ride
EH Holden, VS Ute
in saying sony xplod aint bad, i like their head decks and find they are quite good. by quite good i mean they suit my needs perfectly

the speakers depends on what you are doing with them.

I don't listen to music at a volume where it eliminates all road noise. i like to be able to hear what’s going on around me, and personally think that anyone that has a car stereo up so loud they can't hear anything is silly. Hence I win never will a sound off, nor enter one.

when you talk quality of speakers if you arn't running at deafening volume, sony speakers will do you fine. And to tell the truth, 90% of people that tell you that particular speakers are **** are only passing on information they heard someone else say. Because 90% of people wouldn’t know the difference between a good of poor speaker.

Let me just say, quality of a speaker is not about how loud a speaker can go before it goes bang.

coming from someone who has been working as a live sound engineer for the past 4 years. if you want the best clearest sounding audio, set it up in your living room next to your 50" tv.

if you try to get the cleanest clearest audio out of a car, you will be chasing a rainbow because you will always have variables you cannot eliminate. Fortunately for most, and I’m going to play a rather large stereotype here, all that most people are after is "doof doof" which is easy to get.

redvpsenator

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator & VS Ute

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
also this might be of little help but...
say you go and have a look at a place like jb hi fi, dont just look at the units. play around with them. see which are easy to use and look nice.
dont always go on brand name and if it looks good.

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
also this might be of little help but...
say you go and have a look at a place like jb hi fi, dont just look at the units. play around with them. see which are easy to use and look nice.
dont always go on brand name and if it looks good.

yes!!!

My mate went out and spent 600au from jb on a deck and its the hardest thing in the world to use, i spent $160 us from soniceletronix.com on mine and sounds heaps better and so much easier and clearer to use. defintly pays to do your reaserch and also depends on what sort of music you listen to.

If you listen to gangsta beats then youd be better off with a hard hittng 12' sub or if you listen to rock with fast bass kicks you would be better with a 10' or even 8" behind your seat.

end of the day if you aint gonna be playing it loud then youd be better of going down to supercheap or jb and buying yourself something like sony explode or even fusion if you on a budget. Will defently sound better then stock and keep you happy :)

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys,

In my experience with car Audio, most of the "system on a budget" stuff is Rubbish. Subwoofers most of them are made just for Bogans who want hard hitting bass, that's the market for it even the pricier stuff.
So if you end up getting a sub, spend some cash and get something like a Focal Polyglass or Beryllium Series Subwoofer, then you need a decent amp for it too. JL Audio W7 Are good too.

Speakers, an Ok system would be the Pioneer TS-D Series... Then you need a good amp I like the older Alpine V12's. It all depends if your a guy who enjoys good sounding music or just someone who wants
to hear sound/noise. Also if your going for quality, sound deaden your doors by all means.

If you want Good bass without a Subwoofer, A set of Pioneer TS-D6902R 6 x 9's would be perfect but you need a good amp to run them, these can give very good bass, and quite sharp and clear too.