Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Speakers Fit VY?

heffany

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spack
Wanting to put new speakers into my VY, but i dont know what size speakers to buy?

Help please ;)

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII 5.7 Calais, VS SS SII HSV Enhanced
Wanting to put new speakers into my VY, but i dont know what size speakers to buy?

Help please ;)

Pretty sure vy's are 6"' front and rear! Depending on models, Please correct me if im wrong but Calais/HSV have Splits up front & 2 way 6" in the back doors. Calais/HSV also have 8" Subs in parcel shelf adding upto a 10 speaker system.....

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
6" indeed, though 6.5" will fit pretty easily. Most tweeters are 1" maybe 2" but they all fit, so when buying coaxials or component speakers 6" and 6.5" are both fine provided you don't mind cutting the speaker mount a little bit.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Heffany did that help at all?
These two hit the nail on the head anyways, let us know what speakers you end up getting :)

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
i got told from a bloke at autobarn that 6.5 will fit but need to be shallow, but im not 100% sure so dont quote me haha

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My factory vy and vs speakers have been 6", 6.5" ones fit if you make mdf baffles for them. There's heaps of depth in the doorcard, just space it off the door 2 or so 18mm mdf thicknesses

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
My factory vy and vs speakers have been 6", 6.5" ones fit if you make mdf baffles for them. There's heaps of depth in the doorcard, just space it off the door 2 or so 18mm mdf thicknesses

Agree. I put 6.5 splits in the front doors and 6.5 coaxials in the rear doors of my VY when I had it. Just use a spacer, either make them or buy them. They are pretty cheap. They add the benefit of giving your speakers something more rigid to hold them than the door metal. Also worth putting some kind of dampening pad in when you do it all.

revhead2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S II
my VY S II has 6" front and rear with tweeters in the front near the windshield corners from the factory. fitting 6.5" splits is very do-able but does require modification depending on how deep your new speakers are. Almost certain that you will require some modification to fit them correctly.

Nobbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
half being on this subject i have a vy ss and want to upgrade my stock system i was thinking of getting this. what do you's think? will this be a decent setup and ill get a good setup out of or is there anything im doing wrong or anyone would do different. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Alpine Electronics of Australia - sub
Alpine Electronics of Australia - back speakers
http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=224- front speakers
Alpine PDX-5 5 Channel Car Amplifier | eBay - amp
Pioneer - Error page headeck

oh and being 6.5 ill be fine to fit in doors and get the cover back on? thanks

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2

Help please ;)
I thought I would just add to this out of interest to whoever is reading , it is now 2019 and this is what I reccomend myself I have a immaculate VY 5.7 litre Calais nice coulour Black it is all original an old man owned the car before me and took exceptional care of it ,

Anyway this is what I would do , get rid of the factory amp in the calais VY , put in a nice 5 channel amp with at least 400 watts at 2ohm as rear subs you can replace with much better 8inch subs I have seen some with 250watt rms at around $140 each so 2 of them $280 . see the calais subs are GAY at 50 watts it says on them and I doubt that’s even RMS , so rip them out buy some better 8inch subs , also the head unit take that out , the one that I bought it is a pioneer DVD/CD rear view camera capable with applecarplay with the Waze app on it it cost 2019 $439 on eBay .

Then however the head unit of you you need to buy the fascia kit and steering control patch that’s like another $150 on eBay ,

Now the door speakers go with some high quality Sony or pioneer with crossover tweeters these sets are usually about $120 each so $240 for front and rear and as well I would probably use MDF board cutouts make some up as spacers for the door pods you can cut the plastic out though that stops them from going all the way in however the MDF board sounds more sensible . Also the speakers you want at least 60watt RMS to match what most 5 channel amps output to each speaker so a 5 channel amp roughly 4 x 60watt RMS , then the Subs at at 2 ohms x 2 you would get about 400watts . Now you could go bigger however the system I just explained is extremely powerfull.

And I agree the calais factory setup is not worth pissing on

So in summing it up in 2019.

-$439 pioneer 2DIN head unit
-$150 -steering wheel control patch
Wiring harness and fascia kit
-$240 for 2 x 250 watt 8 inch subs
-$240 for front and rear quality speakers
With crossover tweeters
-$200 maybe for a 5 channel amp ,
I bought a JENSON 5 channel D
Class people told me it would be
Garbage however it’s very good
-$80 for amp wiring kit and possibly new
Speaker wire especially to subs

And time if you do it yourself that’s a huge amount of work it’s is well worth doing don’t expect any help though in doing it in this selfish society unless you pay an audio shop however most audio shops are rough as guts ,

Now all together to get a decent system just for hardware $1300 , I know however that’s the price you have to pay and if you try being a cheapskate on it the job you do will be garbage ,

If you pay someone and don’t expect a quality job maybe $600 . I know how to install all this stuff I’m an Automotive technician .

If you think there is a way to get a kick arse system cheaper you would be almost fooling yourself most people selling second hand you can go that way to save a little but make sure you get quality or quality that’s good enough through reading reviews etc .

I won’t lie to any of you a decent system researching , installing etc is very hard and expensive and time consuming BUT WORTH THE END RESULT