Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What temp should my VP run at?

Blulude98

Reaction score
richie_cky said:
Hey,
My VP's temp will sit at about 1/4 of the gauge when travelling along, but when stopped or moving very slowly, the temp will rise to half before the thermo fans kick in. Should the temp always rise to half...or should it sit a bit above 1/4 even when stopped or at lights etc?

Maybe you need to bleed your cooling system, I had the same problem and it worked for me.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Ive never had my car running hot enough for the fan to kick in. Maybe it doesnt even work i dono???

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
reverse flush your radiator dude

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
a vn thermostat opens at 96c(about the second line or half way between) so anything at or below that is fine and if it dosent get to that maybe it isnt closeing.(i think there might be a 105c version as well?)

richie_cky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Model
Yeah, I have reversed flushed my radiator. Thermo fans work fine with the AC on. Fan seems to kick in a notch over half on the temp gauge. Thermostat was replaced about a year ago...would it need replacing again? Or maybe it was replaced with a dodgy one in the first place....but it was replaced with a new one from Holden dealership....u'd think it should be working fine?
Only other thing I can think of is that the radiator is blocked. Any ideas on how much it would cost to had the radiator inspected/cleaned? I have bled the system to make sure there is no air. When I lift the radiator cap, the coolant is right up to the top, no air bubbles and green in colour. Radiator overflow bottle has plenty of water/coolant in it...

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
richie_cky said:
Yeah, I have reversed flushed my radiator. Thermo fans work fine with the AC on. Fan seems to kick in a notch over half on the temp gauge. Thermostat was replaced about a year ago...would it need replacing again? Or maybe it was replaced with a dodgy one in the first place....but it was replaced with a new one from Holden dealership....u'd think it should be working fine?
Only other thing I can think of is that the radiator is blocked. Any ideas on how much it would cost to had the radiator inspected/cleaned? I have bled the system to make sure there is no air. When I lift the radiator cap, the coolant is right up to the top, no air bubbles and green in colour. Radiator overflow bottle has plenty of water/coolant in it...

check the Coolant temp. sensor (ECU)? mine had a similar problem and replace that sensor and it was back to normal. The part is $14 genuine.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Mine runs at about 1/5 - 1/4, kicks up to just under half if I'm idling in traffic and the fan kicks in, drops it back to 1/4.

It used to run at 1/2 and idle at lights at 8/10 until I had the thermostat and radiator done.

flyen

bye bye
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
normal driving it sits at 1/4 or under

in peek hour traffic (idling) just under 1/2
but thats in heavy traffic for over 30min or more

and its never gone over 1/2 way