Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What temp should my VP run at?

richie_cky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Model
hmmmmmmmmmmmm....definatley think there is sumthing wrong with mine then. Will replace thermostat again, and get the radiator checked. I dont like the idea of my temp going past half, as it is tending to do now. When idling in traffic, it will shoot up to over half within 3 mins. I'm starting to think there must be a blockage of some sort or something, but i dont know....time will tell

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i run a 180 degrees thermostat and the temp gauge sits just above the bottom line when driving but it gets up to about 1/2 where the fan kicks in which drops it back to about 1/4. when idling and stuck in traffic. i've read that you should run a cooler thermostat to make power but a hotter thermostat for economy. mine seems to take an age to actually warm up but i suspect it probably a dicky sensor unit??? it's also due a flush and new coolant also for which i use prestone, GM spec????:yeah:

edit: for total peace of mind i would recomend getting an aftermarket temp gauge that has actual graduated temperature markings so youcan see the actual temp of the engine.

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
vn2nv you shoudlent run straight coolant... its designed to be mixed for a reason....

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
lowrida56 said:
vn2nv you shoudlent run straight coolant... its designed to be mixed for a reason....

ummm no :p Maybe you should try reading the bottle one day buddy. It will tell you that maximum results come with 100% concentrate...However it can be mixed.

richie_cky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Model
I read the Bottle of coolant I got from Holden.
Said for optimum performace, mix with 50% water...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
anton1o said:
mine sits at about 65-70deg..
Buy a temp gauge, best money ever spent :D

this sounds a little cold to be runnign the engine, ifyou run it to cold the ecu thinks it's not upto operating temp and therefor will probably be running it rich to try and warm it up. best thing is probably to beg/borrow/steal one of those ADLD cables and see if the Low Temp cooland flag is still showing when your driving it around at65-70 deg..

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
unless you are using cooling that is already mixxed when you buy it, it should be mixed....

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Pre-mixed coolants are usually pretty average.

I run Tectaloy Xtra Cool Gold (GM Spec), at it's reccomended mixture.

Straight coolant concentrate cools less efficiently than water, straight water becomes corrosive to your cooling system components but cools more efficiently than coolant. The appropriate mixture has the wonderful balance between the 2 and won't freeze like water will, not really an issue in oz though.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
lowrida56 said:
unless you are using cooling that is already mixxed when you buy it, it should be mixed....

Well on the back of the bottle I have, it says optimum performance is 100% concentrate. It has like a graph of the freezing and boiling points depending on the mixture, going from 100% coolant to 50% water, 50% coolant.

And I only use coolants that are above Holden specifications.