Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What temp should my VP run at?

richie_cky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Model
Hey,
My VP's temp will sit at about 1/4 of the gauge when travelling along, but when stopped or moving very slowly, the temp will rise to half before the thermo fans kick in. Should the temp always rise to half...or should it sit a bit above 1/4 even when stopped or at lights etc?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Mine never sits at half... always around a quarter.

Make sure you use the good coolant not the cheap stuff in the VN/VP's. It has to be atleast to holden specs for the VN onwards and I personally use complete concentrate, no water.

Other than that its probably just your thermostat or something... Check the coolant level is ok in the overflow bottle then check under your radiator cap to make sure the coolant is up to the cap underneath, if its not you have a blockage in your radiator/cooling system somewhere.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I think thats pretty normal, when I stop or in traffic it goes to half way, fan kicks in and drops it back. Mines a VR but its pretty much the same as the VN engine.

H

HATER VP

My VP sits on the first line on a average day, But does slowly creep up with the A/C on.

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
Mine runs cooler with the a/c on (due to the thermo fan always being on with the a/c):p

Mine never gets passed half, and usually sits above 1/4 when driving and moves up to just under halfway when stopped....

I used the holden coolant when i fixed my thermostat :)

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
mine sits at about 65-70deg..
Buy a temp gauge, best money ever spent :D

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
mine only ever sits at about half and the fan kicks in at about 3 quarters, there must be sumthing wrong there...

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
My car ussaly sits on about 1/6 driving normaly then if im sitting at the lights on a hot day usally gets to around 1/4-1/2

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
ok i think there is definently sumthing wrong with mine then if everyones sits on about a quarter or less, mine would only sit on that if it has been idling for 5 mins or less. i dont know what it could possibly be though, just this year i replaced both head gaskets and inlet manifold gaskets cos the block was blocked and it stopped the overheating problem... should i be running a colder thermostat or should the fan be kicking in earlier then at about 3/4s, if so how do i do that??

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
damm my temp guage reads about 90deg