Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What this cannot be right!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Whilst I was waiting to cross the crossing at a traffic Lights two cars stopped at the Traffic Lights and both were VF Commodore. The car close to me was a VF SV6 and the one in the Middle was a VF SS so here goes the SV6 will be eaten up considering the SV6 had a car parked up the road (gutter side) about 30-40 m away so what happened when the light went green. The SV6 took off like a bullet out of a gun and the SS was still smoking his wheels.
I went to Repco (walking) and on the way back I went to the Shopping center and I saw the same car the SV6 where he was talking to others and I asked him " It this a SV6" yes it was because I heard it when it took off and I said what have you done to it and he said nothing!, All I did is fitted the lowest Ratio LSD diff in it and its a rocket off at the mark.
Question!
Can a lower Ratio LSD diff make such a big difference like this. I asked him have you done anything to your Torque Converter? he smiled.

Also I hear the engine rev a little more of the mark than standard. Hummmm

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Its all about the hook up. A diff change to the V8 will equally compensate. But, it's not very economical on the highway and potentially in for some drone.

I am thinking even with this change, a V8 hooking up well will still venture ahead. Much more torque.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its all about the hook up. A diff change to the V8 will equally compensate. But, it's not very economical on the highway and potentially in for some drone.

I am thinking even with this change, a V8 hooking up well will still venture ahead. Much more torque.
I've never seen a car take of that quick without his tires complaining. GONE! like a Sling shot. I still think He had some done to his Torque Converter to achieve this.
On a Standard V6 it has I think a 3.46 :1 one wheel spinner not LSD (man has LSD) so what the lowerest ratio you can get. I would have to say to get the LSD he would have to change the Compleate Centre and fit the lower ring gear and pinion and then change the Lot + Go to the dealer to change the setting for the Speedo.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Best you hop in a capable V8 with a capable driver and see if you change your mind about blistering performance. I am not saying you're incorrect, I am sure the changed diff makes a world of difference. I have seen mildly touched V8s on street tyres get to 100kph in 3.5 or less. Even a stock one is fast with factory diff. Sounds fun, but with a lot of highway miles up here, I like my frugal diff.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Best you hop in a capable V8 with a capable driver and see if you change your mind about blistering performance. I am not saying you're incorrect, I am sure the changed diff makes a world of difference. I have seen mildly touched V8s on street tyres get to 100kph in 3.5 or less. Even a stock one is fast with factory diff. Sounds fun, but with a lot of highway miles up here, I like my frugal diff.
It seem to very quick in the first 30 M or So. I have spend 10 years Drag Racing in The "A" street Bracket with a A9X 4 Door Torana and I used to have a Super T10 and it went 12.30 over the quarter, Put a Turbo Hyro 400 it went to 12.00 on the Quarter without touching the engine. Then went to a Turbo Hydo 350 not a 400 which is lighter but is more efficient with a slippery Torque Converter and it went to 11.75 but had a less Top end compared to the Manual 12.30. It show you what you can do for the First 30-40 M or so, This is the Exact way the SV6 behaved at the Traffic Light today, IT Was gone in the first 30-40 m away.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I changed both my auto VE and VF from 2.92 to 3.45. Made a huge difference.
Did it rev a lot more whilst cruising at 100?

I guess it would be 20% higher based on the difference in ratios?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
What are the Ratios available for the VF's. What are the Standard on a VF Sv6 Man or Auto and what are they on a SS Man and Auto.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I bet you will notice this on a Hwy having 3.45. But if the car is driven locally the lower ration would be ok.
On our SV6 it mainly on Auto 5 gear on 50 or 60 speed limits

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

you should try the 3.7 (as in HSVs... like mine) :D