Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What this cannot be right!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Agreed, SV6 with those mods is not going to chop and SS if its got a capable driver
What if the SS driver had a stock auto ‘box?
No ... it’s only part-throttle they’re bad, stomping it should give decent results.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hey if you keep standard gearing you can go 307kph in 5th and 389kph in 6th. Watch out Bugatti Veyron.

Not sure how comfortable I'd be in a stock commo at that speed lol.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Never even seen a competitive one yet anyway. None have bothered to try. I guess it’d be like pulling up to a Ferrari and thinking you might have a chance. Probably a silly idea.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
6th 100kph 3.45 = 1818rpm.

6th gear in my manual L77 VE with 3.45 = a smidge* over 1,500 rpm.

*Smidge = tach needle slightly obscuring the top portion of the 1,500 rpm marker

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Did you/someone aftermarket-fit that 3.45 to it?
A 2.92 would result in it doing 1270rpm, which'd be close to lugging wouldn't it?
In other words ... for highway cruising, & with that gearbox, despite "conventional wisdom" the numerically-higher diff probably results in better fuel economy on long country runs?

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
6th gear in my manual L77 VE with 3.45 = a smidge* over 1,500 rpm.

*Smidge = tach needle slightly obscuring the top portion of the 1,500 rpm marker

My First VE 3.45 diff come from a VE man. The bloke changed to 3.70. second diff on my VF was genuine gears changed at 8000ks.

6th in auto is 0.67. 6 speed man is 0.57. So man with 3.45 is 1538rpm. SO VS 5.0 is spot on

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Never even seen a competitive one yet anyway. None have bothered to try. I guess it’d be like pulling up to a Ferrari and thinking you might have a chance. Probably a silly idea.

It's as easy as timing the lights and hitting the loud pedal.....Over a 30 metres , you're guaranteed to get in front of anything, if you are quicker on that pedal that the other person.

Then we add in, with the original question, one car was smoking it as he left the line, whilst the other one bolted, it is only natural, spinning the wheels won't get you moving as quick as not spinning the wheels....

So does this answer the question? It does when you think about it

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Spot on harli.
Yes I agree but this SV6 did took off like bullet out of a gun without spinning his tires but left the Manual (had to me Manual as he spun his tires on the Spot) and left the SS for dead.

Now I wonder if the SS slipped his clutch, would that be as good as a trick up SV6 converter and a low rear axle ratio? Now doubt about this the SS will have caught up to him if it was a drag strip but we are talking about 30 to 40m M Sprint max. I call it, the guy in the SV6, he was was cheeky devil and would piss a person up if he or she had are more powerful car.

Now I woulds still like to know beside having a LSD diff what could be the lowest ratio that he can have on this SV6