Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy? SS-V, SS-V Redline OR Maloo? All brand new

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 accord euro, 94 civic vtec turbo
Hey all, I'm new to buying Aussie cars, so far I've only owned Jap cars. I'm looking to buy a brand new ute through my business. I'm tossing up between the SS-V series 2, SS-V series 2 Redline, or the Maloo R8.
Realistically I'd LOVE a Maloo, but is it really worth spending the extra cash for it? It's not to be used for work other then occasionally (im a truck driver). I am getting rid of my toy aswell to save for a house so I'd like to be able to take the ute for the occasional track day for abit of fun...
Also what's the go with the thunder? As I said I'm abit of a noob with Aussie cars lol
Thanks in advance
Christian

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
If your going to do any mods just get an SS, if you are only going to do power mods get an SS-V, My opinion on the Redline is that its a waste of money for the shitty looking mags and brakes(basically). The maloo is the go but i couldnt justify the extra money, for half the extra price you would have one mean SS ute or one fairly mean SSV ute IMO

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies... I do really want the Maloo, any idea the difference in insurance costs? Or where I can get a good price on one?

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies...
I do really want the Maloo for the ls3 and better brakes, that new edi computer looks pretty cool aswell and it comes standard with a hard cover and reverse camera among other things but yes it is pretty expensive. Anyone know where I could get the best deal? I'm in Sydney. Either Liverpool, chullora or castle hill?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I'd be getting the thunde/redline and spending abit of the money I saved on exhaust/OTR/tune/lowering but if ya can afford it go for it, the maloos are damn sexy.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
To be honest, for me at least, the Maloo's biggest selling point is its gearbox. I'm on my 5th T56 box in this car, and won't buy another car that uses this box. The TR6060 is sooo much better!

Best deal I could find in Sydney when I bought mine was at Waitara - but it's the same chain of dealerships as chullora, so try there. I'm not a fan of Castle hill and don't know Liverpool.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Tinsnips, you gotta admit though, you've never had much luck with your car haha. The clutch giving out is a much bigger problem then the gearbox.