Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy? SS-V, SS-V Redline OR Maloo? All brand new

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
I so wanted to buy a HSV when I bought my car. I could have bought one. But I was actually talked out of it based on things like brake replacements costs. (that said, I admit commodore brakes are sh*t.)

At the end of the day I bought the SSV and have had a great time modifying. I probably wouldn't have been able to do most of things if I'd bought the HSV.

Think of what you want. Can you be honest with yourself and say it will stay stock? If so buy the HSV. If the mod bug bites, and believe me it will, buy the SS.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I think any of those options (excluding one) would be ok but I have to say the VE Maloo is the best looking ute I've ever seen, but the red line looks tacky in my opinion I'm just not a big fan of chrome rims on any car and chrome window trims on sports models. If you've got the cash get the Maloo!

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 accord euro, 94 civic vtec turbo
Yeah I am a little worried about things like insurance, servicing etc but in making the choice between an SSV and a Maloo, I feel a Maloo will hold value abit better as there is no where near as many of those getting around as the SS? Also I feel if I buy an SS, I'll end up spending money on brakes, suspension, engine mods etc where as I believe I'll be alot happier with a Maloo in fairly standard form

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
Leave it standard..... Lol... Yeah ok... :p

One mod will turn to 4 will turn to a twin turbo setup. I'm pretty sure I said I wasn't doing much to my 60th Ann. Car has changed appearance 4 times in 3 years

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol well I have a heavily modded civic ATM and I am over going nuts on cars for now. I'm hoping to only do a few things to a Maloo, over time tho so I don't go nuts haha just want coilovers, wheels, intake, exhaust and maybe a tune. That should equal quite a nice ride I think lol

SUS.SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SERIES II WAGON
get the ssv wagon mate

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
But I thought real men drive utes? Haha Nahh I actually need to get a ute incase I do need to use it for work, a wagon isn't quite big enough and I wouldnt want to ruin the interior

talljoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Maloo's are nice, but pretty expensive. I bought my SS ute for 38,000 brand new. Thunders are 40k (40,500 with your choice of metallic paint). I was considering something more expensive but I couldnt' justify the extra 25k for what I'd get.

I met a guy who got a HSV GTS reduced by 22k due to hail damage. The damage? One pin prick due to hail, near the boot, barely noticable.

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lucky man! Yeah I do also think it's alot of money, I sure hope if I do get one, after driving it for a while I find it worth it lol I hope the brakes, suspension, motor and gbox are a fair bit better then standard SS items. Also the Maloo comes standard with hard top, reverse sensors, reverse camera, better sound system, oil temp, oil pressure and batter guages... Etc all those if you were to get them on an SS would bring the price up a chunk