Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what to buy?

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
hi guys,
got a 355 stroker with 10:1 comp... just wanna know without having to research myself and minimize confusion what would best suit my engine as far as fuel system setups and ignition.
i wana aim for bout 400-450hp at the engine, so if people could post up what fuel and ignition systems they're r running that suit the commodore hassle free, e.g brands of fuel pump/injectors/ etc and what dizzy/leads etc to go for.
also i wanna know what power rating the stock injectors r good up to coz if there is no point going hi flo injectors i wont bother.
all suggestions will be appreciated, cheers.

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
i think the stock ignition is pritty good as it is but maybe just change the coil to a newer bosch type, a intank walbro pump should see u through but if not i would go a bosch 044 external pump with a surge tank and the stock injectors will go to around 180kw atw, if u are after something cheap get yourself some multi point magna injectors, i cant remember what there rated at but i know a mate that has a 355 with a solid cam and they work fine, if your after good leads ring QLD ignition leads and they will make u what ever u want they are the best and there pritty cheap from what i remember

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
thanx bomberdore what do you recon bout this ignition kit?
NEW HOLDEN V8 DISSY / CSI / COIL KIT (MSD 6AL)
i thuoght if im gna get all new ignition parts i mite aswell get an upgrade version?
is the walbro intank pump more powerful than the stock one?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
procomp...

need i say more?

*edit* actually i feel i should say more.

i bought one of their "high energy" coils for my ride. worked well for about 6000kms, then progressivley lost its spark. replaced with a bosch unit and everything is great again. i do, however still have one of their dizzys. well, i dunno if you could call it their dizzy anymore since almost everything had to get ripped out and replaced with bosch parts... but the caps are invaluable to me as they are dirt cheap and they clear the big manifold vaccuum hose for brake booster on edelbrock performer manifold. stock dizzy is too big. hence me buying cheap crap.

i have also been warned off their MSD boxes because the chips inside are rubbish and the soldering doesnt last long in an engine bay, but that is advice from another person so it may have no basis of truth.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
oh i thought it would be good lol u pay for what u get i guess...
any more advice would be good coz i want to get everything new to suit. my stock parts are a bit hows it going and i think im just gna chuck them.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
so this is going on a VR club sport? call me stupid, but they have dizzys? thought they would have had angle sensors.. and multiple coils.

everything depends on your budget tho really. i have to say i have had zero problems with my ebay dizzy once the guts were replaced, i think it was around 300 bucks all up for new dizzy and regraphed for my cam. personally i think bosch are an awesome brand but if you are serious about wanting power then you gotta pay the moolahachs $$$

check out I.C.E. ignition systems. think they start around 1200 up to 3k

also i second the walbro suggestion for a pump. i replaced my 32 GTs-T with one of those and it was good for years. wasnt running 400HP but had 180RWKW. skylines get upset if they get anything under 115 PSI and it coped well.

my 2 cents

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
yea they got dizzy's, the 6cyl have coil packs.
yea both i.c.e and msd kits start from round $1100, is there anything out there around the $800 mark dizzy/coil/ign box?
also is the walbro or bosch 040 a unit that just drops in or is modification necessary? and for 400-450hp is upgrading the fuel reg, injectors enough or do i need the whole lot like rails and lines upgraded to flow better?

FusionX

Reaction score
Buy a genuine MSD ignition box and coil. The MSD distributor won't run on a EFI due to the hall effect sensor (i think thats the one). But the standard Bosch distributor is fine (currently trying a Nardek distributor, almost an exact copy of the bosch, seems to handle 500hp fine)