Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what to buy???

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
Hey all, well I've been wanting one for sometime now and I'm now in a position to do it,at first I wanted to buy a R8 sportwagon but I'm over here in WA and they are proving to be hard to find in the colour I want and the 2 that I have found are white and the other being black,so now I'm thinking maybe I just buy a cubby sedan or gts??Then my other thoughts are to just get an SSV wagon and spend some money on it(suspension,otr and tune,catback exhaust for sure) but with maybe supercharger or big cam and head package,not sure which way to go :bang:
So now I'm here asking for any feedback,ideas,suggestions,what you've done and/or just plain old advise on what's the best year vehcile to help me start my VE journey
Look forward ta hearing your comments etc..

Regards
Jeff

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I think a lot depends on what model HSV were you looking at ? (E1, E2 or E3) ??

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't know what E1 E2 E3 means? pro's&con's? is it like series as I only know that an E3 is the late model and they high on price wise which leaves the pocket a little to empty which means not much left for mods

FirstVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS.II Commodore Executive
Hi Jeff,

E1 = E-Series I = August 2006 to September 2009
E2 = E-Series II = September 2009 to September 2010
E3 = E-Series III = September 2010 to early 2013

To understand the differences, try this HSV E-Series ClubSport review. Somewhat confusingly, E-Series I started with the 6.0-litre LS2 engine but switched to the 6.2-litre LS3 in April 2008.

I think you'll struggle to find many ClubSport Tourers (wagons) - you'll have a much better range in the sedans. As for the pros and cons of performance mods, I'll leave that for the experts...

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I've got a friend with a silver SSV wagon for sale, has had quite a bit of work done already, asking about $37K I think.

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
At this stage I'd be going with a 07/08 clubby but I've been looking at MY12 ssv wagons aswell.
so what kind of problems could I encounter with 07/08 models

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it's been a long night reading the forum and I've come back to my original idea of a r8wagon,but seeing I can't find one of the right colour I've decided to just build up an 08/09SSv wagon,now my only problem is auto or manual?At the end of the day I'm looking at about 450oddhp at the wheels,am I dreaming or is this acheivable running an auto with abit of stall?or should I just go with a manual and think about a better clutch?
Again any suggestion,ideas,info is all greatly appreciated

Jeff

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
If your budget can stretch to an R8 wagon then then fly to Melbourne and buy one. One way flight is a minor cost, you could look at 10 R8's in one weekend. They are an amazing car, I'd love one. They will hold value way better than any SSV, look better and are a quicker car.

But....SSV's are pretty cheap now, if you're into mods you'd end up way ahead with an SSV and the same $ spend. But resale will be lower.

Definitely will need a new clutch in manual pretty soon, I've heard the auto can handle a fair bit of abuse but I've never tested this theory.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yeah, the answer to this really depends on what you want out of the car.

The HSV will already have upgraded brakes, seats, steering wheel, trim bits, and exterior bits such as wheels, bars, lights etc....

If HP is all you care about, then grab an SSV, and mod the crap out of the engine, and enjoy :)
My only suggestion is that if you are looking at 450hp at the rears, you are really going to want to look at upgrading the brakes.
(Which means changing wheels to fit the brakes, and all the costs that goes with the upgrade).

Keep in mind, once you start adding stuff to the SSV such as wheels, brakes, and interior trim bits (Such as the chunkier HSV steering wheel and seats, cluster, gauges etc),
then your costs are quickly going to rise and you ending spending more than what the HSV would have cost you in the first place.

Personally, I always tend to think that you shouldn't just settle for a car, thinking that you can mod it when you get money to make it the car that you want.
Its best to get the car that you want from the beginning.

If colour is the only thing holding you back, then sit back and wait until the perfect colour (and model) becomes available.
Just my 2c

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Yes, as above, spending heaps on an SSV, still only gives you an SSV, not an R8. Save for an R8, with the VF on its way, VEs are going to bargains.