Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what to choose?

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
hey guys im looking to start gtetting some audio equipment into the vn. the only problem is i dont really know much about it all. i dont know what to get. and really dont know what i want to get. i dont know what products are good and what products are bad. i dont know what kind of set up i should have. i dont have heaps of money but i will be doing it over time. i dont have anything in my car at the moment except the stocko head unit and the two dash speakers. any help....and pics.....and prices or any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
matt

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
a replacement Head unit is a good start, as is a pair or replacement speakers for the front and perhaps some new ones for the back, that should hit you for about 300 - 600 depending on what you go for, from there you can upgrade to door pod speakers and amp then finally a sub and perhaps a replacement ( flashyer ) head unit? the basic trick is to work out what you want to do each stage and what kind of money your happy to put down for each given stage.

as for brands im a pioneer supporter but i consider alpine worthy.
few people like sony, fewer love them ( aside from their 6x9's which i hear praise about )
i like kenwood Headunits and i dont think much of their speakers, their subs seem pretty popular though.
other than that be sure to pit one store against another when it comes to component selection. if they want your money they can damn well earn it! lol

good luck and im sure someoen will be able to give your specific advise than my personall comments

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
thanks heaps patrio7. whats wrong with sony though......*glances at home entertainment systems and playstation portable*

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
Some of the especially lower grade Sony headunits quite often have build quality issues, sometimes you get lucky and get a good one and sometimes it goes the other way.

If getting a Sony head unit i would recomend going for one of the higher grade models. That is what i did and have never had any problems with my Sony head unit.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
To get any meaningful help, you really gotta put up a budget. Also, try to give us an idea of what your after. I.e do you listen to Hip hop and want those fat bass lines only a sub can provide, or would you prefer to keep your boot and get 6x9's. Too many variables without more info bro.

Generally speaking, the authorities will recommend a new HU, New front splits (which raises the question of install... DIY or pro? Keep it stock or make up some pods etc) sub, and 4 channel amp (or 2 channel and monoblock if you got the $$)

Jaycar make good budget amps, your $300 mainstream HU's are all pretty similar in features, and splits will depend on budget.

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
i dont know really. i have time to get this stuff so a budget isnt really a massive priority. i was thinking about like maybe spending 600 for the basics like the h/u and front rear speakers but thats a variable. i got no idea about amps or why people have more than one or this thing u call 'splits' and all this crazy jazz.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
what sort of music do you listen to?
okay, so you will be building the system over time or in one go?
what will be the final end result? between 1000 and 2000 or around 5000, less than 1000, we need a ball park figure.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
i dont know really. i have time to get this stuff so a budget isnt really a massive priority. i was thinking about like maybe spending 600 for the basics like the h/u and front rear speakers but thats a variable. i got no idea about amps or why people have more than one or this thing u call 'splits' and all this crazy jazz.

amps, they accept a low power, high quality signal from the head unit and make it louder. near on all headunits have their own amps but they arent very powerful to put it lightly. like my car has a head unit and 4 6.5" speakers, the sound is ok at normal volumes but is **** when its loud.

an amp also gives you options to clip or limit the range of sound a speaker plays, so you have have say the fronts doing just high range ( vocals symbols etc ) with the rears doing mid to low ( guitars drums beat etc )

a "split" is a speaker that has the high range tweeter as a seperate unit to the speaker itself, this allows the speaker to be a little bit better in quality ( doesnt have a pole poking out from the middle ) and also allows the tweeter ( the 20c coin sized thing ) to be mounted wherever you like. they are good up front

using two ways or threeways in the back is acceptable because at that distance you cannot make out the tweeter from the main speaker.

two way and threeway is a speaker that has the tweeter mounted in the speaker itself

two way->
gw_BOSS_2-way_speaker.jpg

Split->
DSE216_M.jpg

that square thing is a crossover, or controller box to let you tune the speaker and tweeter ranges

hope that helps a little.

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
thanks for the help patrio7.

i pretty much only listen to hip hop so i am wanting some really tough bass gear. i will be building the system over a period of time so i guess the end result will probably be in the 1-2k range.

thanks for the help
matt

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
splits for the front and 2 or ways for the back, new HU, that'll get you started then speaker amp can go in with sub and subamp