Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do about VE V8 AFM Issues?

Chris76

Reaction score
Hi Guys. Rickyc12s thanks for posting the videos and starting this thread. Glad I saw it Ive got the same problem with a 2010 Calais V L76. Any recommendations for a decent workshop in Brisbane/Capalaba to fix? As its stock I figure I might as well have a OTR and performance tune done at the same time what do you guys recommend and what should I budget for? I have had one quote and the shop recommended I delete the AFM/DoD but I'd prefer to keep it. Also the car has had servicing performed over its lifetime but its done 250km any other recommendations or potential issues I should look for?

rickyc12s

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ One Tonner and 2011 VE SV6 S2 Wagon
Hi Chris, you can get the DOD delete kit for about $730 from ebay which has everything except the camshaft, camshaft seems to be about another $600-700 + the tune on top of that so a DOD delete was looking around 2k + labor (my guess is another $600-800 labor). So if you did go a delete I would be budgeting about $3,000-$3,500 including OTR

I decided to keep the AFM and have ordered revised VLOM ($320) and AFM lifters ($560) as well as replacement LS7 lifters ($140), trays ($80), exhaust gaskets ($65), head gaskets ($160) and head bolts ($65) all in for about $1,400 and maybe a $100 or so more for a head shave if needed.

At the end of the day the deciding factor for me to keep rather then delete was the amount of highway driving I do, the fact that I can do all this myself without needing to go get the AFM turned off and a cam tuned in the ECU and the future-proof ability of the revised AFM bits allowing me to do performance upgrades anyway later on if I so choose.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
@rickyc12s where did you get 8x AFM lifters (12645725) for AU$560?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
:eek: Zupps Aspley were around $1500 quote for all lifters by memory...

Yeah my package price for 8x units from US was same, but shipping and import was $152.65. That was using the automated eBay shipping and import service through Pittney Bowes. Bloody stings that!

Chris76

Reaction score
Thanks rickyc12s. Thanks Monstar. I appreciate your help. I'm leaning towards keeping the AFM, I do a bit of highway driving as well.

Buckd1ch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 A6
Talk to james at bayside performance in cleveland mate. Wont let anyone else touch my car. Hes very good

rickyc12s

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ One Tonner and 2011 VE SV6 S2 Wagon
So just to update, got everything back together today and after missing the main ground wire couldn't get it started. Turns out it isn't getting fuel, bypassed the fuel relay and she fired up no worries and seems to run smoothly but no matter what I try the fuel won't pump without bypassing the relay.

Just to clarify it doesn't prime or anything