Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what to do first ?

J.T VL LOVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL GOLD
Hey I have a 1986 VL auto low ks and i want to start speeding thing up motor wise what should I look at doing first ? cheers for any help:beer chug:

Last edited:

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
1st up give it a good service ,plugs ,leads ,cap and rotor ,oils and filters then extractors and exhaust.

J.T VL LOVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL GOLD
cheers mate i went into my local auto pro a just asked for the best plugs leads oil and gasket for my rocker cover gave the engine bay a good clean to see if I had any oil leaks and ect and it was all good in that regard. I want to put a shift kit high stall and an LSD in but not sure on wat to do first or how to go about it I have extractors and a 2.5 inch exhaust on now did that first and now looking at doing my springs and shocks than i want to change the disk breaks on the front to slotted rotors but any and all help is very handy

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
First thing you should do is buy a workshop manual.
Then spend the day reading that.
After that get on google and search a whole bunch of idea's.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Pretty much just get a major service / full service done at your local mechanic, and tell them to check everything, belts oils coolant etc, and fix anything he tells you is an issue, then hit up the net, or post an idea on here asking how to do it and we'll help!

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
keep a spare dizzy handy as that will be the first thing to die, vls are known to have problems with the crank angle sensor and ignition module on the dizzy.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
its easier to change the c.a.s insted of the whole dizzy if you dont know what your doing its a 5min job............

with the money your gona spend on the trans just convert it to manual
it will be cheaper to run
funner to drive
and add $$$ to resale value later on in life

J.T VL LOVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL GOLD
EY guys ive done the fuse box i had an old mate from skool rewire the whole box coz all the fuses were melting and just went to **** but now its all been fixed .and i went to the swap meet in ballarat and picked up almost everything for a vl fule pumps fule lines new dizzy coil pak dash lights indicator stalk well put it this way i filled the boot and the back of the vl and spent 150$ and got the lot in regards to
going from auto to manual i have a mate thats done it and he hates it coz its been nothing but trouble and the whole car is haveing problems and he spent a **** load paying the guy to do it for him i dono if dogie guy that did it or he just treats his car like **** but im not really willing to take the risk soo ill just look at my options with working an auto