Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do please ?

White Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman 2009 (white Lion)
Dear all
good morning to you

my car is v8 2009 6L L98 engine

before 1 week I changed the oil pressure sensor and the filter but unfortunately the old filter fell inside the engine
so please advice
is it danger ?
do I have to dismantle the head to remove the old filter
so far I am using the car and engine sound is normal

kindly advice
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 11.27.50 AM.png

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Which part of the engine did the filter fall into?

White Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you dear
Yes it fell in its position below the pressure sensor but can't pull it out and then it fell deep inside
can't see it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 3.07.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 3.07.45 PM.png
    401 KB · Views: 139

White Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 3.07.45 PM.png

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That looks like the AFM filter basket which should simply pull up and out of the hole under the oil sensor where it lives. Supposed to be a bugger of a location to get too and difficult to see well. There is a tool to make filter basket removal easier but from what i've read most just use a oring seal pick or similar (being careful not to scratch the bore). As i understand, it can't fall into the engine as the hole in the bottom of the bore it lives in is smaller than the basket.

So the question is did it fall back into the bore under the oil sensor or did you just drop it somewhere around the LIM and didn't se where it went?

AFM needs clean oil and the filter basket is a secondary mechanism to ensure only clean oil gets to the collapsible lifters. It should be changed but not sure at what intervals.

This video may give you an idea how it all works (though filter basket is not shown but you should work it out, 0.46 to 0.55).

White Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes dear
Exactly as seen in this picture
the filter 100% fall inside and I have installed a new one in its position then changed the oil pressure sensor

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 4.43.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 4.43.37 PM.png
    303 KB · Views: 143

White Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 4.43.37 PM.png

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you check out the video I posted, the underside of the VLOM/LIM doesn’t seem to allow the filter basket to drop anywhere. In any case the VLOM/LIM? sits on the block and the oil passage looks to be smaller than the filter basket so again it cant go anywhere.

If the old filter basket just fell deeper into the bore and you pushed another new filter basket over it, I’d think at some stage the crushed filter baskets will start to fall apart and let bits of crap get into things it shouldn’t. Best to pull off the oil sensor and have a better look. Getting a borescope of sorts would be helpful and cheap ones that connect to your phone can be found on eBay.

From what I’ve read, the VLOM/LIM can be removed without removing the heads so worst case is some extra effort is need to pull a few more things apart. But I’d get a cheap borescope first and have a good look ;)

White Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you check out the video I posted, the underside of the VLOM/LIM doesn’t seem to allow the filter basket to drop anywhere. In any case the VLOM/LIM? sits on the block and the oil passage looks to be smaller than the filter basket so again it cant go anywhere.

If the old filter basket just fell deeper into the bore and you pushed another new filter basket over it, I’d think at some stage the crushed filter baskets will start to fall apart and let bits of crap get into things it shouldn’t. Best to pull off the oil sensor and have a better look. Getting a borescope of sorts would be helpful and cheap ones that connect to your phone can be found on eBay.

From what I’ve read, the VLOM/LIM can be removed without removing the heads so worst case is some extra effort is need to pull a few more things apart. But I’d get a cheap borescope first and have a good look ;)

Thank you so much dear
I'll get the bore-scope and will try to remove it again
wish me luck

thanks a lot