Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do - rebuild?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have a chat to Pro Convetors in Melbourne. Not much point going stall if you only want 2500. I'd be looking a 3000 as a minimum. I have stall and its at least 3000. Can't remember if its 3500 though, I'd need to check my invoice at work.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Thanks for rounding that idea off .

Why does a bigger cam 'push' on brakes? Is it to do with less vacuum and more "lope"?

Could i potentially meet mid way with a 23to 2500stall?
Yeah little less vac can have an impact. The lope means they can be easier to stall at low rpm, and so idle speed is usually increased a little to prevent stalling.

When they surge off idle or push on the brakes it’s not all that nice to live with day to day. If you’re not going at least 2500rpm on the stall it’s not really worth the expense imo. They don’t feel too different to drive in the low end. You need to drive a car with a histall to know what I mean. The only time you’ll know it’s got a stall is when you stand on it.

Plenty of decent converter places around. Last one I had was a road blaster and was very, very happy.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd still want to go 2800-3200 stall for a stocker...anything smaller would feel like waste of money.

That way if flash rpm is on lower side will still be good yet if do more mods down the line convertor should still be suitable

EYY were the convertors $900 when you got one & anything specified in them?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A 3200 - 3500 stally is the go if you ever want to run shorter diff gears. I know OP has said wants to stick with stock but we all come around eventually.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd still want to go 2800-3200 stall for a stocker...anything smaller would feel like waste of money.

That way if flash rpm is on lower side will still be good yet if do more mods down the line convertor should still be suitable

EYY were the convertors $900 when you got one & anything specified in them?
Agreed.

Mine came with the car, and found out all the details when I rebuilt the trans and gave road blaster a call. Receipts from the car only gave a total price on previous trans patch up, engine rebuild, tune etc but I’d expect price to be a bit higher than 900 going by prices I saw on eBay.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agreed.

Mine came with the car, and found out all the details when I rebuilt the trans and gave road blaster a call. Receipts from the car only gave a total price on previous trans patch up, engine rebuild, tune etc but I’d expect price to be a bit higher than 900 going by prices I saw on eBay.

Mine was under $700 delivered and I had the option of HD which was around $200 more. Considering OP has a worked V8 HD would probably be better suited.

D

Dean1985

Guys. I feel quite spoilt having so many people provide me options and support for my questions. Such a great helpful resource and community.

I have had another thought. You all got me thinking.

I want a daily driver. Not having to rev-her-up-into-hyperspace each time i drive. Im a cruiser, enjoy low down torque.

Prefix: btw i have had this car since i was 18. Its my first car. My daily. I do all the work. My family see it as an extension of me. I love a long cruise and feel its stuck as part of me now. 17 years, i guess i should keep on going with it.

Meat of post: If i was to get a stroker kit. 355. Keep the cam.
Is this a viable option?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
To put it simply, forget the 268. It just won’t work in a performance application. Don’t build your engine around a cam - fit a 284 and you’ll be happy. Very linear power delivery and can be used with stock stall. The extra compression you have will make it feel stronger off idle than most of the engines you’ve probably read about on here (most being stock with cam only).

Don’t think for a second that a histall cannot be daily driven. You won’t even know you have one. I daily drove my cammed/stalled/geared Vx ss for almost 12 months - no issues at all, even in heavy traffic (drove through melbourne cbd daily). Only one slight problem was the temptation to sink the right foot. They just feel/sound so nice when set up properly.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
100% need another cam even if you go stroker or keep it at 304ci with raised compression....down the line you'll realise it still needs a stally & gears then kick yourself how much nicer it drives.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
This whole post is way over my head. My V6 has as much grunt as I would ever need and I like it quiet so I can hear the radio or music while I drive. Also I am more concerned about how well I can stop, as opposed to go, so I have a VT front upgrade including VT master and booster. Definitely worth the trouble and cost.
Hey Dean, I'm in Nowra too. What colour is your VR? I'll look out for it out and about. Mines the extremely sunburnt pale blue VP (although I have a plan to paint the roof using a close colour matching single pack epoxy after I fix the sagging headlining etc etc.