Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do with my 2003 VY...

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
Evening all,

So I'm after a general consensus of what I should do with my 25th Anniversary VY. I recently bought a VE Calais with the intention of fixing a few bits and bobs on the VY before selling it. That was until the alternator died the day I picked up the VE. I think she's jealous! Is it worth fixing the problems and selling it for around $3500 or should I consider selling it for parts?

Here's what I know I need to sort before I can sell it.

• Replace Alternator
• New battery from above problem
• General service, plus what ever other issues arise from an inspection.
• Replace the fuel flap
• Repair fabric wear on the drivers seat
• Replace the boot lock actuator
• Replace broken automatic ariel
• Replace seals around drivers side and passenger side doors
• New head unit
• New key fobs
• Road Worthy Certificate

Cheers in advance.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Do nothing and sell it as it is for about $1,000. That's about what it's worth.

But I must ask, why has it got to this stage instead of doing one thing at a time to it over the years as they go wrong?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Price up all those repairs, and see if you make some money still. But get a road worthy check first, may need more repairs than that again, such as steering, suspension etc.
if you spend 1k and even sell it for 2k still a little profit in the pocket. That's if you can even get that depending on KMs etc.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I'd fix up the major things like the alternater, battery and fuel flap then put it up for sale. Even the little things are a good bargaining point for buyers, so I wouldn't expect much of a profit if any at all.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
But I must ask, why has it got to this stage instead of doing one thing at a time to it over the years as they go wrong?

Life gets in the way. I had actually had the suspension issue I had with it sorted out a couple of months ago as it was the most pressing issue it had, along with the front brakes. It cost me a small fortune. The fuel flap, seat and ariel I had planned to get sorted in the next month or so. The boot actuator only broke a couple of week ago. The seals aren't a problem, I just thought sorting them out would help push the value of the car back up.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
Price up all those repairs, and see if you make some money still. But get a road worthy check first, may need more repairs than that again, such as steering, suspension etc.
if you spend 1k and even sell it for 2k still a little profit in the pocket. That's if you can even get that depending on KMs etc.

Its only been a couple of months since I last had it serviced. The suspension issues I had were sorted, along with new brakes and rotors. It cost me a small fortune to fix. Everything else mechanically on the car was fine. It's just frustrating that just as I'm about to get it ready to sell, the alternator dies. I had a look on Carsales, and the same model with similar KMs on it sell for around $3500-$4000. In saying that, it may be a better option price up the repairs and see if its really worth it.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
What is the overall condition of the car, paintwork, exterior trim, dents and scratches, stone chips etc? If the condition is above average you just need to hang around for the right buyer if some nong comes and offers $1000 just say no.
I have this model and it has a lot of extras, nicer trim and if i needed a new VY I would pay more for this model than a base model. Infact I had the option of a VZ Acclaim slightly more K's and not is as good condition for the same price and I went with the VY.

If your going to sell it just fix the fuel flap, get a new battery and second hand alternator. You can get 3D printed repair kits for the VT fuel flap on e-bay, not sure if they do a VY one as they are different. They cost a few $ and it's fixed no need to buy a new one and pay to get it painted unless your lucky enough to score one from a wreckers in the same colour but good luck with that.