Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to look out for when buying a vr

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hi there everyone,

im looking at buying a vr berlina and am wondering what should i look out for while looking at it and while test driving it. just a few simple things to look out for would be great

i had a look at the vr faults section, and it just had tonnes of things that can go wrong, of course, when buying a car i cant go through all of that, so im just looking for a few things to look out for that could cause a problem later

thanks in advance
steve

BANGERS88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 Toyota Starlet GT, turbo.
Start off checking the basics such as brake pads/discs, paint, rubber marks under wheel arches(Burnouts).
Check for oil leaks out of the engine, if its manual pull on the handbrake and slowly let the clutch out, if it goes to stall then the clutch is not slipping. When test driving find a large area and put on full lock and drive in a circle, then other way and both ways in reverse, there should not be any abnormal noises. Drive about 40km/h and in 4th back off the accelerator then push it flat to the floor, if you get a jerk under the car before it starts to accelerate then the cv joint is worn.

protossw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 EXECUTIVE
check the engin oil cap to see if there are white creamy things sticked,,
that means water into cyclinder which will cost you much,,i just found in my vr

WiLo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
check in the bott in the spare wheel well for water, if it hasnt rained recently got a bucket of water and pour it aorund the rear 1/4 window leave it for five minutes or so then check, or take it to a car wash and put the high pressure spray around the window

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
you can get places like automasters to do vehicle checks for you, if you shop around you can get them for like $100. they check everything and give you a sheet with what is stuffed and needs attention so it is worth it.

protossw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 EXECUTIVE
Yes RACV can do the same thing. If not so sure, give it to professionals.

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
do the raa do that kindof stuff? for free? does any1 from sa or has been from sa know?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
The raa will do a check for you. It costs about $117 and you have to be a member do get that service. Not sure if there are any other companys that do this for you.

PM Sent with a list of contacts.

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
ok im with raa plus, will have to check member benefits section