Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what turbo to use ...?

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
FG XR6 TURBO /RIP VT II LS1 Clubby, VR Commodore S
I've decided to go single.turbo on my vr v6 , but I'm having trouble trying to pick the right turbo. I have the gt35 and to4z in the mind. Knowing that the engine.only revs to 6000 without trouble if I was to go for a to4z with a small rear what rpm would.the turbo kick in ? If its 3000rpm and above that would.be pretty laggy knowing the gt35 would spool up earlier,in a head to head which one would be better especially for.quarter mile times ? Is it having boost come.on earlier or lag followed by big amount of.cfm created by a bigger turbo that will win the quarter mile ?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
a real gt35 or a cheapo T70 is about the perfect size really

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Here is one that I reckon will fit perrrrrrfectly.... :poke:

Turbo.jpg

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
lol darcon can you hook me up with on of those ? :p

delco i read on one forum you,ve got your t70 spooling from 1800rpm and you were saying its all in the tune so if i was to get something like a to4z with good tuning roughly wat rpm would it kick in from ?
thanks

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i can spool mine on the spot on the brakes to 7psi just driving round its about 2500 it starts.a real TO4Z would be real laggy ide amagine.the last big turbo we ran on westerlys vr ecotech come on at over 4000rpm but hit hard but was pretty useless for street dutys
the cheap T70 i run has made 339rwkw on an rb25 so plenty big enough :D

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
why not twin turbo......or does that mean twice the price?
I've decided to go single.turbo on my vr v6 , but I'm having trouble trying to pick the right turbo. I have the gt35 and to4z in the mind. Knowing that the engine.only revs to 6000 without trouble if I was to go for a to4z with a small rear what rpm would.the turbo kick in ? If its 3000rpm and above that would.be pretty laggy knowing the gt35 would spool up earlier,in a head to head which one would be better especially for.quarter mile times ? Is it having boost come.on earlier or lag followed by big amount of.cfm created by a bigger turbo that will win the quarter mile ?

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I've got a mate with a manual and a real gt35 + 1.06 rear - he's got a different cam than stock, but generally it's all in 12psi by about 3500-4000rpm - depending on gear etc.

He's got 4.11's in the rear and a t5 which don't seem to load it up enough until at least 2nd to hit full boost properly :) - having said that a sidestep of the right foot brings it on song right away.

As for your turbo choice:
- what are you going to use the car for? - a turbo that will be optimal for drag racing might be completely useless on the street....
- how much boost do/will you want to run? - if you don't plan on changing the auto or building the motor, it's probably a bit useless getting a turbo suited to 30psi, if you know what I mean?
- is it auto? are you happy to run a stall converter?
- what's your budget?
- does it need an internal gate? or do you have any size constraints or anything?

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
justbad4you

why not twin turbo......or does that mean twice the price?

i wanted to go twin turbo but it is more expensive and the manifold for it is expensive aswelll
i picked up a single turbo manifold yesterday for $250 so im going single now lol

VN_Luke

I've got a mate with a manual and a real gt35 + 1.06 rear - he's got a different cam than stock, but generally it's all in 12psi by about 3500-4000rpm - depending on gear etc.

He's got 4.11's in the rear and a t5 which don't seem to load it up enough until at least 2nd to hit full boost properly - having said that a sidestep of the right foot brings it on song right away.

As for your turbo choice:
- what are you going to use the car for? - a turbo that will be optimal for drag racing might be completely useless on the street....
- how much boost do/will you want to run? - if you don't plan on changing the auto or building the motor, it's probably a bit useless getting a turbo suited to 30psi, if you know what I mean?
- is it auto? are you happy to run a stall converter?
- what's your budget?
- does it need an internal gate? or do you have any size constraints or anything?

-i want to use the car for street use but mainly aim at getting a good quarter mile time

- my auto is already built up stage 3 fully manulised made to take over 300rwkw+
-mine engine is slightly above stock has been built from scratch from sre engines has 212 cam @ 50 thou 9.0.1 ( is all that i can remember of the top of my head) compression before i put the 75 thou mls head gaskets should be able to take 12psi reliably as the person who made the engine said will take 10 no worries
-i dont have a hi stall yet but am happy to get one right after i get the turbo setup accomplished
-my budgets 5grand
the manifold i picked up was off a setup that had an internal gated gt30 so there is no external wastegate area to bolt on up, mite get the exhuast shop to modify it, no size constraints that i know off the manifold will take all t3 t4 and gt turbos

what i need advice is on the right turbo for me which i admit i dont know too much on, ive been reading up on gt35 vs t04z which really cant be compared as there both different sizes i just wanted to know if my commodore could handle a t04z but if its going to be **** on the street then i will go for a gt35, on street commodores in the v6 turbo forum they recomended t04z turbos for stock engines that have cams or pistons or head work done to them, i havent seen a vr v6 with a t04z on it so i was wanting to get a rough idea from people experienced with turbos

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
the turbos that i have in mind i plan to buy them from pro boost have got good feedback from customers for there turbos that are cheap, i am aware there chinese turbos but they have 1 year warranty and arnt far from the real turbo's there based on 5-30hp difference on the pro boost t04z and garrett t04z and there $850 from pro boost compared to $3g from garrett i thought the commodore could support it since cars like gtr's and 2jz with smaller engine displacement use them