Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What type of brake fluid?

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Hi all,

After a few years of living with brake shudder in the VX, I finally replaced the discs and pads this afternoon. Prior to starting work I removed some brake fluid from the reservior to prevent any spillage when pushing the caliper piston back in.

My problem is that the reservoir is now low on fluid and I need to top it up. Question is what is a suitable fluid to use. I have purchased a Dot 4 brake fluid but don't know whether it is compatible with what's in the Commodore. Holden specs say you should use a HN1796. Can anyone help?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Go to repco,autobarn or so forth there is a gm specification emblem on the break fluids man,Go A Valvoline Brand one dot 4 will be fine mate if ya got fluid in there atm go dot 3.if ya gonna bleed the system and removed the lot go dot 4...

Performance Super Dot 4 Brake Fluid

Valvoline performance Super DOT 4 is a low moisture absorbing brake fluid designed for all cars, trucks and vehicles fitted with disc or drum braking systems.

Meet all vehicle manufacturer requirements for DOT 4 and SUPER DOT 4 hydraulic brake fuids and is suitable for brakes operating under extreme and heavy-duty conditions. Perfect for use in vehicles fitted with hydraulic clutch or ABS systems where the use of a DOT 4 or SUPER DOT 4 is specified.

Conforms to SAE specifications J1703, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard FMVSS No.116, DOT 4 and Australian Standards AS/NZS 1960.1.95 Grade 3 and is compatible with all non-petroleum (Polyglycol) type brake fluids. Also meets Ford ESZ-M6C55A and General Motors HN1796.

Heavy Duty Super Dot 3 Brake Fluid

Valvoline HEAVY DUTY SUPER DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID can be used in any vehicle where the manufacturer recommends using DOT 3 brake fluid, including ABS systems where DOT 3 is specified.

DO NOT USE WHERE A DOT 4 BRAKE FLUID IS SPECIFIED OR MIX WITH OTHER BRAKE FLUID.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It depends on what is in there already, if it is a dot 3, the dot 4 will not mix with it. Dot 4 is specified for high temperature applications, most standard street brake fluid is dot 3.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Just get what ever is the cheapest dot 4... It *literally* all comes from the same factory in Europe. Same factory that makes some of Dulux's premium paints... oddly enough.

SAE specifications J1703
^ And that's why. Its a specification, not a standard, meaning that there's only one place that can make it.

Nikki johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 1 3.8L V6
Even though this post is old, thought i'd still comment.
I have a 2001 Vx commodore, which i had at mechanics today to get a brake fluid flush (recommended to do every 2 years).
I would advise for you to get brake fluid flushed as you shouldn't mix different brake fluids (advised by mechanic).
Mechanics used ×2 500ml bottles.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Even though this post is old, thought i'd still comment.
I have a 2001 Vx commodore, which i had at mechanics today to get a brake fluid flush (recommended to do every 2 years).
I would advise for you to get brake fluid flushed as you shouldn't mix different brake fluids (advised by mechanic).
Mechanics used ×2 500ml bottles.
Yip agree and it’s easy enough to do yourself with those cheap one man brake bleeder kits

Mitchellw1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VX Commodore Berlina 3.8L 6
It depends on what is in there already, if it is a dot 3, the dot 4 will not mix with it. Dot 4 is specified for high temperature applications, most standard street brake fluid is dot 3.
Actually youre wrong. Dot 3 and 4 can be mixed and dot3 has a boiling point of 270°C and dot4 has a boiling point of 280-290°C so not much difference and they're not high performance dot5 is.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Actually youre wrong. Dot 3 and 4 can be mixed and dot3 has a boiling point of 270°C and dot4 has a boiling point of 280-290°C so not much difference and they're not high performance dot5 is.

Probably got confused with dot 4 and dot 5 then. Thanks for the correction.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are two types of Dot 4 I have an idea that one of the two types is not supposed to be mixed with other fluids. Dot 5 can mix with Dot 3 & 4. But there are some other types like Dot 5 silicone fluid and Dot 6 that can not be mixed. It tends to be your racing brake fluids that can not be mixed.