Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What type VT Series 2 front disc's to get.

darren44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 wagon Berlina
Hi all.
I have no modifications on my wagon.
Went to get the front brakes machined and they were already undersize.
I only use the car for work and around Adelaide so dont need performance parts. Only looking for a good set of front disc's. Seen some on ebay for $99. Not sure if they are any good.
Ultra tune wanted to charge me $499 for 2 new disc's and a fluid flush. Cant afford that.
Just need a good brand.

Thanks
Darren

andyos

Ozzie 98 Clubby
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT CLUBSPORT 5.0L
Well i would either go new standard set of front rotors which should be the cheapest option (plenty on ebay) if you are not looking at performance,heard RDA or DBA are good brands. I just fitted a set of slotted DBA rotors on mine and they are great and only about $30 or so bucks more than standard rotors.You will also need new brake pads if you are getting new rotors.You could also look at doing it yourself if you have a bit of mech know how because there are a few guides on this forum with pics to help you.....
I got my front DBA slotted rotors for $105 each(discounted) then pads cost me about $75 bucks and i had them fitted for $60 dollars. Hope this helps...

darren44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 wagon Berlina
cool thanks
no more shaking.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
+1 For DBA Slotted rotors, got them all round on the VT and it has eliminated the awful VT brake shudder.

Dont bother with cheap rotors, get either RDA or DBA. Then decide if you can afford or want Slotter or standard.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
While we are on the topic of cheap rotor replacement, what does everyone think about getting fairly new (used) rotors from the wreckers etc.
At $20 per rotor and I've seen them, no lip at all, it would be a very cost effective solution.
Opinions, facts, anyone?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
You would probably want to factor in machining them before you put them on your car. They may look good but who knows when you brake with them for the first time?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
They would probably be Ok if yo need to save some money. Put them on and if they shake get get them machined... which will then cost you more money.

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
how do the vx r8's slotted discs and calipers compare to the dba slotted discs and calipers??

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
They would probably be Ok if yo need to save some money. Put them on and if they shake get get them machined... which will then cost you more money.

How much more money compared to buying new ones? $80 at the worst. $40 for a pair of rotors and I don't know, $20 per rotor machined by some overcharging franchise?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
How much more money compared to buying new ones? $80 at the worst. $40 for a pair of rotors and I don't know, $20 per rotor machined by some overcharging franchise?

Last time we got rotors machine it was $45 a rotor. It really isnt viable to machine rotors these days.