Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What way is best?

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
So I posted here recently that my engine has a rear main leak and have had some handy hints .. so I have a few options..

Leave it and try to get over the pits with a clean just before it goes over..

Or

I'm doing a manual conversion on the Berlina anyways and have 99% of what I need now..

I also have a spare engine (in very good condition). Do I bolt the gear box up and use the spare engine ?? the original will be getting stroked in the coming 12 months so it was coming out anyways ..

I have pulled many engines out and gearboxes but was also thinking would it be easier dropping the whole lot out by unbolting the Kframe (and the other bits) and lifting the Car?? I have a hoist.. I have always done it the hard way on stands etc and thins will be the first time with the option of a hoist??

Or

Do I try and get it over the pits and build the stroker engine wait and be patient to put the manual in at the same time? I'm planning within the next year all going well????

These are the hard choices in life lol

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'd get it over the pits with all the original gear in it and as factory original as you can, this way the inspectors look far more favourably on the car. The moment you start making changes the inspectors will look much deeper and actually try to find points that they can fail you on.

Here in Adelaide they've made it a mantra to piss as many people off so that word gets around not to buy written off vehicles and try getting them back on the road, opposed to the Government making an announcement on a draconian level.

I have one of my neighbours that's currently trying to put a 2010 Ford Ranger back on the road that had light superficial panel damage to all the RH side and believe it or not have failed him because he hasn't provided photos of the small repair to the C pillar in all it's stages eg. initial damage, stripped back to metal, repair area prior to painting and after paint. Unbelievable, they even want photos of behind the front RH front guard as it was only replaced due to having a light crease along it and it was simply cheaper to remove and replace with a same colour S/H unit.

This clearly demonstrates that these departments are instructed now to eliminate rebuilds and modifications so that people just keep on buying new vehicles that are up to modern build standards and the write off's go only to bonafide Wrecking Yards for dismantling.

So the more clean and original you leave the vehicle the less ammunition you'll give them to hunt you down.

Just as a point, my 69,000 km VS S-II Calais from Melbourne flew through the system in just over 10 minutes while others were in the building for hours being poked and prodded. Yours was similar to mine when you purchased it if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
If its dropping oil on the road it won't be passing the pits ? Put the spare motor in? Who knows how these rwc blokes think sometimes I see them pass **** heaps other times they are very anal I wonder if they actually look at some of the car yard cars I've seen with current roadworthys. The vehicles Im saying Ive seen were on a hoist general rule of thumb if it's dropping on the road or the exhaust its going to fail degrease it wipe it and see how the roady goes if it fails you have 7 days to swap the motor.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
As far as dropping oil is concerned if it's not too much I'd be taking off the Tongue Dish and using a bit of silicone and create a ring dam around the hole on the inside as this will not allow any oil to drip out of the hole until its too much and overflows the slight dam wall you've created on the inside. If you actually block the hole itself they'll see the obstruction in the opening that's there when it's up on the hoist.

As boozer says I also wonder how some of these re-birthed cars end up getting through the system only to be instantly put up for sale. Strangely they seem to like to target lone individuals like yourself and my neighbour as I've described above that don't do this process on a regular basis.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
When I get inspections done here I always degrease everything on top and under to the point of almost being able to eat off it, and in your case I would also give it a wipe underneath just up the street from the inspection station.

Easy to do, just run two wheels up on the footpath and climb under in the gutter.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
As far as dropping oil is concerned if it's not too much I'd be taking off the Tongue Dish and using a bit of silicone and create a ring dam around the hole on the inside as this will not allow any oil to drip out of the hole until its too much and overflows the slight dam wall you've created on the inside. If you actually block the hole itself they'll see the obstruction in the opening that's there when it's up on the hoist.

LOL I would have never thought of that one.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd give it a good clean & try my luck for rego.Do mods later.

More incentive to get car back on road when it's already registered

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL I would have never thought of that one.

You just have to be one jump ahead of these "Robo Cops" and not have to run the risk of them running it to see what happens especially when it's all freshly cleaned and that's a tad suspicious to them.

Mine was clean but not "degreaser clean" if you get what I mean.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
I'd get it over the pits with all the original gear in it and as factory original as you can, this way the inspectors look far more favourably on the car. The moment you start making changes the inspectors will look much deeper and actually try to find points that they can fail you on.

Here in Adelaide they've made it a mantra to piss as many people off so that word gets around not to buy written off vehicles and try getting them back on the road, opposed to the Government making an announcement on a draconian level.

I have one of my neighbours that's currently trying to put a 2010 Ford Ranger back on the road that had light superficial panel damage to all the RH side and believe it or not have failed him because he hasn't provided photos of the small repair to the C pillar in all it's stages eg. initial damage, stripped back to metal, repair area prior to painting and after paint. Unbelievable, they even want photos of behind the front RH front guard as it was only replaced due to having a light crease along it and it was simply cheaper to remove and replace with a same colour S/H unit.

This clearly demonstrates that these departments are instructed now to eliminate rebuilds and modifications so that people just keep on buying new vehicles that are up to modern build standards and the write off's go only to bonafide Wrecking Yards for dismantling.

So the more clean and original you leave the vehicle the less ammunition you'll give them to hunt you down.

Just as a point, my 69,000 km VS S-II Calais from Melbourne flew through the system in just over 10 minutes while others were in the building for hours being poked and prodded. Yours was similar to mine when you purchased it if I recall correctly.

Holly Crap... it sounds like the Fun Police are getting paid overtime over there!!!! lol It isn't to bad here with the pits... living country helps and the local bloke is reasonable from what I hear (obviously wont pass if it's not legal) but I guess it depends on what you take and how you present it.

Without the oil leak it would sail over the pits without an issue!! having not run for 10 years prior to the last few months it's very very clean and not modified.. even has the original cast manifolds. and I'm thinking your memory is better than mine!!!!

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
If its dropping oil on the road it won't be passing the pits ? Put the spare motor in? Who knows how these rwc blokes think sometimes I see them pass **** heaps other times they are very anal I wonder if they actually look at some of the car yard cars I've seen with current roadworthys. The vehicles Im saying Ive seen were on a hoist general rule of thumb if it's dropping on the road or the exhaust its going to fail degrease it wipe it and see how the roady goes if it fails you have 7 days to swap the motor.

I think it's the luck of the draw sometimes but might just present it as clean as I can and cross my fingers!!!

As boozer says I also wonder how some of these re-birthed cars end up getting through the system only to be instantly put up for sale. Strangely they seem to like to target lone individuals like yourself and my neighbour as I've described above that don't do this process on a regular basis.

I just finished taking it off just now!! was going to clean and plug the hole but creating a dam might be the go!! I know the bloke who inspects is a car head like us so hope he sees it for what it is ( a great clean example) and it doesn't leak where he can't pass it..

When I get inspections done here I always degrease everything on top and under to the point of almost being able to eat off it, and in your case I would also give it a wipe underneath just up the street from the inspection station.

Easy to do, just run two wheels up on the footpath and climb under in the gutter.

Isn't it normal to have an engine clean enough to eat off?? lol Have a mate with a tyre shop just done the road and was going to run it up on his hoist if I don't trailer it in!! they can never be to clean.....