Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Why When Were and How 2009 VE Berlina Series 1 Speaker system

Bob Watson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Ve Berlina
I picked up the above car last week and I'm flummoxed by the speaker system in this car.
Dash Speaker
Dash Tweeters
L/R Front Door Speakers
L/R Passenger Door Speakers

Parcel Shelf Speakers - nothing zip nadda.
Now I have read here that its a real pain changing over the standard head unit, so lets forget that for a minute. How come there are no rear rear speakers, they haven't been removed there is just nothing.
How easy or hard is it to mount an amplifier to the head unit?
Looking under the parcel shelf through the boot there doesn't see to be anywhere to mount rear speakers, so how hard easy to mount speakers there?

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Parcel shelf speaker havent been a thing since the VT model was introduced. To allow passengers to hear one another - speakers are fitted to the doors.
Only the premium sound models have had 8" subwoofers fitted to the rear parcel shelf - not speakers.
Theres a plate that can be knocked out, similer to older commodores, and a cover can be bought to cover the holes that have to be cut in the parcel shelf to hear anything fitted there. Depending on whats being fitted there (aftermarkert subs or speakers) an adapter plate may have to be used as well.

As for adding an amp, you will need a line out convertor the taps into the speaker wires behind the factory headunit and converts the signal into an RCA plug to suit aftermarket amps.

I'm pretty sure theres a few "how to" threads around here to show how its done.

Bob Watson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Ve Berlina
Parcel shelf speaker havent been a thing since the VT model was introduced. To allow passengers to hear one another - speakers are fitted to the doors.
Only the premium sound models have had 8" subwoofers fitted to the rear parcel shelf - not speakers.
Theres a plate that can be knocked out, similer to older commodores, and a cover can be bought to cover the holes that have to be cut in the parcel shelf to hear anything fitted there. Depending on whats being fitted there (aftermarkert subs or speakers) an adapter plate may have to be used as well.

As for adding an amp, you will need a line out convertor the taps into the speaker wires behind the factory headunit and converts the signal into an RCA plug to suit aftermarket amps.

I'm pretty sure theres a few "how to" threads around here to show how its done.

Thanks a heap for that information stockies.
As far as people talking in the back seat lol never happens.
My previous car was a 2003 VY and to set up sound on it was easy ( well not for me, but the guy who set it up ).
Not in a position to do anything for a while, so I'll investigate and ask questions.

Bob Watson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Ve Berlina
Well it's the 4th May and a conclusion has been forced upon me. I was looking at updating the sound in my car, even though this is still a couple of months away I decided I would have a sticky beak around. So I started with a few phone calls to places on the Sunshine Coast that might deal in a Sound System. 1st call "Hi I have a 2009 VE Berlina Series 1" reply " yeah okay, does it have single climate or dual"? " Dual" reply " **** mate just for the facia your looking at $800 and then the head unit you want the amp/amps and full set of speakers". So after I get up off the floor I say thanks and hangup lolol. This was the same story for the 3 places I called ( maybe $50 difference ). So I wander down to Autobarn as they were the ones that did the job in my old VY. They said they could squeeze the facia in at around $710 + around $450 for the head unit and I like Alpine so that would be the speakers and Amp. So I might just upgrade the speakers and maybe an amp. Oh well these things are sent to try us and try us they do.

Bob Watson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Ve Berlina
19th May update; Have finally got Iphone via AUX working really well now.
Because your iPhone can play other audio extensions like AAC so now can your head unit.
Now if you are an audiophile like I am, you don't want to be listening to MP3's as they are just stereo.
Being able to play AAC through the standard sound, you get good quality sound ( minus that waste of space on the dash )
So instead of going through that massive expense mentioned in the last blurb, I will be adding a good and amd speakers without the pain in the pocket. At the moment I have the iphone hidden away on the console, but I'm sure when I go to add the other stuff I will find a place where I can access it. Oh incase I didn't mention it I paid $60 on eBay for an iPhone 4 with 16 space and $10 SIMM starter kit. As long as you keep the phone charged it shouldn't be any problem.

Bob Watson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Ve Berlina
Because when buying a secondhand iPhone you never know how much the previous owner has stripped off to remove thier stuff.
Plus I'm led to believe that iTunes reads your phone to see that you have a provider ( can't confirm that last bit, just what I've been told).