Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] What will have if I put sssl in the rear of my holden vu ute without shortened shocks

Matts_Golden_Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vu v6 ute
Just want to know if I really need shortened shocks for the rear of my ute when I put sssl in. Thanks in advance

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Yep and a adjustable panhard rod .. and or a back brace/kidney belt :D

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Bad idea mate. Will be super impractical and very uncomfortable. Can also cause problems with your chassis because most of the time you'll be riding on the bump stops which can actually crack the frame.

Go with a regular super low set and you should be at about minimum legal ride height anyway. With a set of nice wheels (even SS wheels) it will look mint.

Cheers - boingk

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
lol at the comments.

i have ultra lows in my VZ SS ute with stock shocks.

- towed my sisters car beautiful (who lives 45min away)
- no cracked *chassis* (i think he means diff cradle)
- never rides on bump stops

a camber kit will help not chew out inner tyres. i dont have one, i just have the tyres flipped and checked but local tyre bloke when i think they could do with a flipping

its actually more practical seeing as i can throw things in the tub without straining myself trying to throw it over the quarter panels.

so to answer your question OP, ive been running like this for 3+ years driving an hour to work and back and never had dramas. so yes you can.

EDIT:

pics to clarify

lows against ultra lows
image%20(5).jpeg

ride height
heartlesssideon.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah it'll work... but the shocks aren't working in the intended part of the stroke so the valving is no longer at its optimum. Another issue is that the springs aren't always trapped when you put lowered springs in with stock shocks, which can be a BIG problem if you happen to hit something hard.

It can also be annoying/dangerous when the springs fall out of their seats when you put them up on a hoist. I'm sure it rides okay, but you won't realise the difference until you fit quality, shortened shocks.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Unless they are a Monroe SensaTrac (or similar) that have staged valving along the stroke, then the piston and the valves are the same throughout the whole travel so if anything, standard shocks should actually feel a bit better on ultra lows as it moves the shaft of the shock into a less used portion.

Changing the shocks will make a difference regardless, you are fitting new shocks.

Apart from the obvious trapping of the springs, there is no real need to fit shortened shocks. The suspension travel will bottom out before the shock does.