Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 What would be the benifits of a Shift kit???

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
Hey Guys.

I recently lost the high clutch in my auto box, so i got it rebuilt with stronger clutchs, billet servos, monster drum and a 2500 stall.

it seems to shift pretty hard under full load lighting up 2nd with ease and kickdown is near instant at speed. it used to chirp 2nd with the old box.

I dont really understand what benifits would be there with a shift kit tho. I thought a shift kit was support to make your car shift harder. i have been told it would be over the top for the street. and thats what im starting to think. because if i balance the throttle it will shift with no push back or anything.

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
if u use the power button on your centre console it will do fast and the furious style wheel stands...

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Pedrotski,
In the different stages of the kits like Stage 2 and 3.. Stage two changes the box to effectivly a Semi-auto. It changes pressures internally and makes the gear box shift when u shift in stead of maybe taking 1 or 2 seconds to shift.. so it can be driven in the 1st 2nd 3rd D Style... or put in D and driven normally... As for the Stage 3, it makes the box become a full manual(clutchless) and it has to be driven as u would a manual... Stop back to first... start again.. All that said.. it also depends on what car/box u have.. Anything later than the vs and its pretty much useless as the Computer needs to be altered.. I got a Rebuild of my box, every thing upgraded and i told him that i wanted it to shift when i did, bear in mind this guy is a gearbox builder for pro stock, doorslammer ect. racecars and still he couldn't get it to do exatly what i wanted because the computer just takes over and compensates for his changes.. in essence.. The kits are good if u want abit more control of your gearing and downshifts ect. but only if ur box is mechanical...

Ben

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
yeah, just look out for adelaide trains.... if you drag accross the noarlunga line u shuld be fine tho haha

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
scroll up man..

Wow i totally missed that. I was on my laptop at the time and it went straight to the new post. Thanks for that dude.

So really its usless in my case as i see most people would be using it to hold 1st to drop a massive 1st gear skid.

I dont really see any benifit in my case. It would be a cheap performance enhancer for a stock box tho.

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
the shift kit is also designed to reduce the ware on the clutches so your box will last longer