Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what would cause this ?

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
The arse end of my car makes a scraping sound when going into drive ways, sounds like the towbar scraping on the road, if I don't have anyone sitting in the back seat the car doesn't scrape, but it only takes one person to sit in the back seat to do it, if 2 people are in the back, the noise is worse.

About 2 years ago I had 2 brand new " suppose to be heavy duty " King springs" fitted to the rear which made the car seem to sit higher than usual , it still does appear to sit higher even now.
I also have noticed when driving, if I happen to run over any small pot holes in the road, it makes a pretty loud thud noise, a lot louder than before hand.

Could it be the shockers causing this ? I have no idea how to check them.

Really appreciate any advise.
thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
G'Day Rony, My old VS scrapes it's towbar and also mudflaps on any sort of driveway and it's got worse over the years probably due to springs sagging. The thumping could be the muffler hitting the body or like you say the shocks...possibly the mounts. I've found that shocks will generally show signs of leaking when they go bad so look for that - and the other test is the old bounce up and down...should only bounce once. But bad shocks won't cause the arse end to drag.....that has to be the springs sagging. You can buy rubber blocks that go between the coils to raise the height. If you have a set of ramps, put the back wheels on them and then lie on your back under the rear and push the car up/down to move the suspension and look for movement.
Good Luck.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Hi hako, the shockers do seem ok, no signs of leaks that I could see plus only bounced once when pushing down on them, might see about those blocks cause its bloody annoying going into driveways, thought the newer springs would help maybe lost their tension already.
I haven't got any ramps but I will get the muffler checked out as well, thanks a lot mate for all your help [as always] and have a great new year.

cheers
Rony.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Get somebody to look while you go into the driveway. My cat used to scrape on the driveway, but I was able to modify the bracket that holds the center section of the exhaust on to raise it.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks mate, I will do that today.