Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what would you do? calais troubles

aussie_muscle_6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5s statesman
hi boys i recently brought a vn calais, but it has a few electrical problems.
it was a 5ltr but converted to a 5 speed v6 before i brought it. worked rebuiilt engine the bodys in decent conditon and body kited i just brought a monaro bonnet for it.
but i broke down on the way home due to the thermo fan not working so rang the RAA and he had a quick once over of the car and "bridged" the thermo relay just to get me home but he also said that that under the dash has melted melted fuses in the fuse box and engine bay. the wirings a mess and the dash isnt working right speedo is fine but thats about it it wont come up with how many km its done ect and have the engine check light (red) one coming on and off. he also said the engine management system is stuffed (ECU right?) the car runs fine but on start up it idles high but you give it a rev and it settles down. also it gets real hot inside the car? heater stuck on?? and the rear passanger elcetric window isnt working?

just wondering what you boys would do get a other calais and swap all the running gear into it as well as body kit ect or get this one fixed? any ideas on costs to do this?
anyhelp would be tops cheers

Attachments

• commie bonnet 5.jpg
    commie bonnet 5.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 312
  • commie 2.jpg
    commie 2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 309
  • P041210_14.07.JPG
    P041210_14.07.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 353

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Personally I'd get rid of the entire thing. Its probably worth less than when it had the V8 in it.

Who knows what sort of abortion job the previous owners did on it - I'd strip the dash and looms out and start from scratch. If you have the patience to do this then it might work out well.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
OMFG... +2 what MasterOfReality said...

God only knows what the issues coud be.... but if you really like the car as well as having the time and/or money to spend on it, go for it.

Personally why would you someone go from a V8 5Ltr(Auto/Man, who cares) to a V6/5spd... :hmmm:

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Personally why would you someone go from a V8 5Ltr(Auto/Man, who cares) to a V6/5spd... :hmmm:

Someone possibly brought the car mainly for the engine as a donor for another vehicle. The vehicle was sold off as a wreck and someone brought it and decided to 'fix' it up by putting a V6 in.

This occasionally happens with Statesmans too :ranting:

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
get another car, put any good bits from the 'wreck' into the good(er) car.. :D

aussie_muscle_6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5s statesman
yeah i was planing on putting a v8 back in it once im off my P's but this is my first car and i brought it as a bit of a project didnt find out how bad the electrics were till we were on the road heading home.
so now i really dont know what to do. if im ripping the dash out and starting a fresh i wouldnt mind putting a vr/vs dash in while im at it. is this going to be much harder seeing as i allready have to pretty much rewire the whole thing??. if i got a wrecked shell with most of the wiring still in it could i just swap all the wiring that way??

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
melted fuse boxs are pretty common in vn/vps can get after market ones or get one out of a differant model and wire in. You will proberly find most issues will be fixed if not start with one issue and work your way through it before you know it it will be fine and you will know more about how it all works

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
pop the dash out and go through the wiring on a circuit by circuit basis until you get everything to work a couple of trips to a pick a part to find the parts you need. Don´t crack the shits and throw things around you will want to .
determine what ecu and wiring you have .find the diagrams and start checking its wired right fixing any dud joins or melted wires as you go.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
if it was mine id fix it, as already stated above just go over all the wiring and fix anything that looks dodgy.

aussie_muscle_6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5s statesman
thanks for the help, ive decide to have a crack at fixing it, to day i worked out my fuse box was full of the wronf fuses 10amp in 5amp 15amp in 10 amp 25amp in 15amp ect most of them being blow this would have something to do with it right?

david dubbo im pretty keen on hereing about the other fues boxes ect do vr vs one fit? or hard to wire in?? is there a "how to" anywhere?
thanks for the help so far really apprecatie it cheers