Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would you do..?

MACE

Reaction score
" Are changing the Comp cams a big job? I don't have my car at the moment so perhaps the v6 is a bit easier but everything I have seen says I need to take my whole engine out to swap the cam? "
It's not a difficult job but can be a little time consuming. It can definitely be done with the engine in the car but you will need to remove the radiator and thermo fan so that the cam can slide out of the cam tunnel. You will also need to remove the intake manifold and timing cover etc.
I'd recommend getting a car manual such as a gregories as they have very clear step by step instructions as well as pictures for these types of jobs.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
Bart

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Hey Steve,

Are changing the Comp cams a big job? I don't have my car at the moment so perhaps the v6 is a bit easier but everything I have seen says I need to take my whole engine out to swap the cam?

Just a recommendation, if you're going through the effort of pulling down the motor, be sure to get A new double row timing chain, Valve springs, valve retainers, new lifters, new gaskets, oil (as you need to service it while running in the cam) You'll also need to flush the radiator fluid out so you'll need some of that also.

These are all things I didn't think about when I did mine, in the end my cam install was delayed and I got it all put in at the same time. Just make sure (if you're doing it yourself) you let your lifters sit in a bowl of oil for about 24 hours before installing to lubricate them.

I reckon if you want to be 100% reliable get your cam bearings changed. I'm not sure if they're a press fit, but if they are then they DO require the engine to come out. I didn't do my bearings, but he said at 200,000 they were getting pretty worn.

Just some things to get in mind, if you don't change any of them things, especially lifters or the timing chain, it's all gotta be pulled out again.. Do it once do it right.

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
Just a recommendation, if you're going through the effort of pulling down the motor, be sure to get A new double row timing chain, Valve springs, valve retainers, new lifters, new gaskets, oil (as you need to service it while running in the cam) You'll also need to flush the radiator fluid out so you'll need some of that also.

These are all things I didn't think about when I did mine, in the end my cam install was delayed and I got it all put in at the same time. Just make sure (if you're doing it yourself) you let your lifters sit in a bowl of oil for about 24 hours before installing to lubricate them.

I reckon if you want to be 100% reliable get your cam bearings changed. I'm not sure if they're a press fit, but if they are then they DO require the engine to come out. I didn't do my bearings, but he said at 200,000 they were getting pretty worn.

Just some things to get in mind, if you don't change any of them things, especially lifters or the timing chain, it's all gotta be pulled out again.. Do it once do it right.

Thanks Devil,

In all Honesty i am considering replacing the engine at 200,000k's and getting something else put in. The car is in Top nick so i think ill probably go doing that and just Cam the new one even if its the engine i end up going for. I just bought the Intake Manifold and Plenum Spacer from Mace for now though :)