Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would you do?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I had an interesting incident the other night and I wonder how other members on the forum would have handled the situation.

I have a job that sees me running around in the early hours of the morning in a small regional township just out of Newcastle. As part of that job, I have to travel from the office to a pick-up point about six k's away every night to take delivery of that day's newspapers. The trip involves isolated roads through bush, with absolutely no lights or houses anywhere around.

On Saturday morning, around 2.30, I was making this trip when I came up to a Toyota ute stopped in the middle of the road, with its lights on, but couldn't see any person. I carefully drove around the car and thought maybe the driver was having a leak in the scrub, so I continued on my journey.

On my return trip about fifteen minutes later, the ute is still there, lights on and I could hear the engine running. Still nobody in sight. I parked the car behind the ute, with high beam focussed on it. Walked up with my torch and inside, the driver is slumped over the wheel. The cabin was closed up so I couldn't tell whether he was sleeping or dead. I couldn't detect any movement.

In view of the remote location, the fact that I was alone and there was no other help if things went pear shaped, I chose not to try to arouse him or check for vitals, but called the ambo's immediately instead. They arrived within about five minutes as we weren't far from town. They stirred the driver and he appeared to be more than just drowsy, he seemed to be affected either by booze or dope. I didn't hang around because my mate was waiting back at the office and on that particular night, my phone company decided to chuck a wobbly and I couldn't make any calls other than emergencies (fortunately) to let him know why I was held up. At this stage, I don't have a clue what the driver's problem was, so I don't know if it was serious or not.

What would you have done under the circumstances?

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
If it was me, being a defenseless woman and all that, I wouldn't have stopped. A quick call to the police and let them handle it.

Good on you though :)

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I wouldn't have got out of my car, but would have called the police.

I think you did the right thing.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
as others have said would have done the same as you calaber

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
kudos to you my friend you did good and exactly the right thing....unfortunately there are to many people in this world who no longer care for their fellow man or woman

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
I didn't hang around because my mate was waiting back at the office and on that particular night, my phone company decided to chuck a wobbly and I couldn't make any calls other than emergencies (fortunately) to let him know why I was held up.

A 000 operator will bar your phone from making calls in certain situations. No idea what is deemed that situation, but I've had it before after ringing 000 and so has a few other people I know, I assume its so you cant do dodgey **** after the 000 call.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Agree, you did the right thing. Had a similar incident on ANZAC day at the local shops. A woman was lying on the ground, half on the footpath / half in a car bay, and was somewhat difficult to rouse. We weren't sure if she was drunk / doped up or had fallen and hit her head so we called the ambos who arrived pretty quickly. While waiting for the ambo, she came around a bit and proceeded to puke on the footpath. Turned out she had been at the pub watching the footy and had a few too many. If she didn't have ambo cover it would have turned out to be a pretty expensive arvo at the pub but hey, better to be safe than sorry.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would have jacked the car up and stolen his wheels.

But yeah, exactly what you did. Good job.