Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Calaber, May 7, 2014.

1. immortality

immortality Can't live without smoky bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Calling for assistance is more than most would do, I do remember a thread on here some time ago from another member who stopped to help someone and was assaulted.

Makes you think twice.

2. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    Understand your thinking but I'm instructed at work that my own safety comes first. You parked a reasonable distance away but what if someone came out the bushes with a gun? I just think about my family and my kids growing up without a dad and think stuff it, call the cops and keep driving.

3. HERONVY

HERONVY New Member

Members Ride:
    2003 VY2 SS
    +1 to that, better to let emergency services handle situations like that.

4. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    It was the possibility that there was someone lurking in the dark but as I said, the car had been there for quite a while, and I know that at least three vehicles had passed it between my first and second sighting, because they came from the same direction I had travelled and passed me whilst I was loading up with the papers at the pick up point. (In fact, I thought the third vehicle going past was the one in question, as it was a white Toyota ute). When I found the vehicle still sitting there, I reckoned that it had been too long for something suspicious to be going on. (If you were trying to set something up, would you stay there, on a cold night, in the bushes for an indeterminate period, waiting in the hope that someone would stop?)

I thought about it, but discounted the likelihood and took a punt. This time 'round, it was the real thing and not a set-up.

Would I do it again? Yeah, probably would. I can sleep easy at night knowing that others might not have been so caring.

5. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    Actually this is incorrect, if you fail to exercise reasonable care & skill in said act you are excluded from good Samaritan laws. Had just one beer? Excluded. On medication that affects performance etc? Excluded. Attempted CPR with no training prior? You could possibly be excluded.

6. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    This may sound a bit out there but imagine if the guy was out doing something during that time and was returning to the car at the moment you pulled up, I see so many weird things now a days and there are far too many people out there in another world or high on some crap. I don't care too much as to what happens to me in life, I'm pretty easy going and take things as they come and if my time was up tomorrow then so be it but in saying that, I now always have that thing in the back of my mind about my kids growing up without their dad. My family will always come before strangers of even friends so as mentioned before I would call the cops whilst still driving past.

7. Tasmaniak

Tasmaniak Not a valid input....

Members Ride:
    VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
    I would have drawn dicks on his face before calling emergency services...

Demonica... Defenceless woman... You're so pregnant.

8. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    Sadly, you are right , , it's a growing problem that a sadly decreasing number of people stop and give help , and a growing number , as you say lash out when you do try and help . My advice is , call the Police , Ambulance , or Fire , but stick around until they do arrive , giving any details is a huge help .

9. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    The responses I have received in this thread are very interesting. I thought I might have scored some criticism for not doing more than just calling for the ambo's and hanging around till they arrived. I wondered if others here thought I could have done more, or even said they would have tried to revive/rescuscitate/arouse the bloke, but that hasn't happened. It's comforting to know that most of you agree with what I did, but isn't it worrying that the general perception is one of danger and potential risk, with the sort of things that happen these days?

Sad indictment on our society, isn't it?

10. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    That supports my earlier statement. I'm pretty sure we were told about the legal implications during our First Aid course by the instructor.

11. Tasmaniak

Tasmaniak Not a valid input....

Members Ride:
    VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
    Correct. They usually make it pretty clear during the courses.

12. Big-Al

Big-Al Banned

Members Ride:
    VY SS 5.7 M6
    My mother was running in a marathon many years ago and noticed lots people in front hopping over something that looked like a log. When she got closer she realized it was a man lying on the ground. Pricks were just stepping over the poor bastard while he was having a heart attack.
    Well she and another woman performed first aid (CPR, EAR) until the ambulance arrived and he lived for another 14 years. Got to see his grand children come into the world. He sent her a Christmas card every year afterwards.
    Granted this wasn't a dark and lonely road.

13. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    I would have done this.

Theres probably two generations gap between myself and Calaber (not trying to make you sound old mate :p) but I think we as a generation have been raised in almost a different culture. Nowadays you just dont know what is going to happen. Im sure the likelyhood of you getting rolled up in the back of the guys truck and probed with a stick was a real threat 25 years ago, but you just didnt hear about it/werent shown it on the news/werent made to fear it.

If I had a passenger with me, sure I probably would've stopped and given assistance, but not riding solo.

When I played Rugby, the referee had a heart attack mid game. One of the supporters was a paramedic. Literally, opened his first beer. He ran onto the field as soon as he could and rendered assistance. The referee died. The paramedic was sued by the family. Seeing that first hand, has always made me think twice about rendering assistance in instances similar to this.

I just think the americanisation (Ill just make up a word here) of our society is to blame. Their culture is heavily influenced by fear and its happening here as well.

14. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    I absolutely agree.

Sorry, but I've lost faith I strangers and I would have kept driving. I've heard too many stories of good samaritans being put in danger when all they has was good intentions. Look at the woman in Canberra who had her car stolen with her baby in the back when she stopped to help someone. Or the bloke on here who had the piss flogged out of him because he stopped to ask if someone was ok. I hate to say it, if I don't know you I'm not stopping to help you.

15. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    In saying that, I respect what you did. It's just that I wouldn't have done it.

16. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Grennan mentioned the generational gap. Perhaps it's a real thing in matters like this, but I was well aware of the possible danger - I took what precautions I could with the placement of my vehicle, the high beams focussed on the other car, and the approach from outside the light beam before turning on my torch.

Perhaps my generation seems a bit obtuse about the risks of living today, but I don't consider that I am. After all, I spent the majority of my life working alongside cops, so I have a pretty fair perception of what goes on these days. I guess when it comes down to it, it's a case of whether you consider your own well-being more important than someone who might genuinely need urgent help. To those who would have driven past, I intend no criticism, but I could not have done that -it's just not in my character to ignore people who might be in genuine need of help. In my own way, I see no difference to the risk level between this sort of incident and BASE jumping, except that the jumpers do it for fun. If things go wrong, the end result is the same.

Also, it's comforting to know that, in my own mind, I did the right thing.

17. Big-Al

Big-Al Banned

Members Ride:
    VY SS 5.7 M6
    Did you beep your horn to see if you could get a response from the person?

18. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    Aren't you liable to prosecution if you are first aid trained but didn't render assistance? I was under the impression that if you hold a senior first aid certificate and you don't render assistance, you can be charged with failing to assist or something?

19. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Calaber, I think its also very dependent on where you grew up. I grew up on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland and then moved to the GC in my teens, essentially, back then, I went from the sticks to the big smoke and then moved to Sydney and eventually Melbourne.

I think if I had of spent my teens on the Sunshine Coast, I wouldve done exactly the same thing as you. Whereas I grew up in areas that had that "lock your doors and chain them up" mentality. Having spent some time on the Central Coast of NSW, I think the Hunter is largely the same where its more laid back and you feel like you can trust your neighbours.

For better or worse, I think certain areas present a much larger risk and what may apply for you certainly doesnt apply to someone living in the outskirts of sydney for example. Would I offer assistance to someone in Dandenong or Bankstown? No keep on fken driving.

20. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    OK, three issues. First, no, I didn't beep the horn because after a quarter of an hour, it seemed a pretty pointless thing to do.

Second. For the first aid to be applied legally without fear of prosecution, your First Aid qualifications have to be current. Mine were nearly forty years out of date.

Finally, Gren, I am a native of Manly, spent the first half of my life in that area before moving to the Central Coast, then to this town two years ago. (I think my life has been a gradual slide downhill, from a wonderful place to grow up to a dump.) I wouldn't call this area "laid back" - it has had its fair share of serious crime and a couple of murders recently.

I don't really think the area you were raised in has such a big influence on what you do in circumstances like this. It's just whatever sort of person you have become, influenced by personal experience, your upbringing and your values in life.

I must admit I'm a bit surprised at the response this thread has received. I honestly thought it would die out after a few posts.