Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What year years did the VE Alloytecs have timing chain problems?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
from some reports, people are getting a updated software to fix it rather then getting the chains replaced

I'd love to see how that works.

"Well sir, your timing chain is stretched, but we'll just reprogram your computer"

By what means - big retard on the timing to match the loss of tension?

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
I'd love to see how that works.

"Well sir, your timing chain is stretched, but we'll just reprogram your computer"

Hahaha.

I think they just remove the code so it doesn't show the engine light. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Yeah - super dodgy!

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Really? Gotta love technology, they have software that fixes the hardware. ;)

hahaha, it was the same issues with the captivas

ms_enj

Geek girls are sexy...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega 60th Anniversary
^High k's for an 08 model?

It's an ex fleet car. Only used for interstate trips by the National Technical Manager of Hitachi Construction Machinery.

It was cheap, has a complete service history (I called the dealers to verify before I bought the car), and everything worn out got or is getting upgraded anyway.

Mechanically, it's pretty much perfect other than a persistent driveline vibration, which...

...naturally resulted in Holden attempting to charge me $260 to change the torque converter lockup point programming, even though I told them the center bearing and universal joint were worn. Of course, their fix didn't fix a damn thing, and it took a month of emails back and forth with HQ to get a refund.

It's almost like they see my boobs and immediately assume that I'll believe that my headlight fluid needs changing! :bang:

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
It's an ex fleet car. Only used for interstate trips by the National Technical Manager of Hitachi Construction Machinery.

It was cheap, has a complete service history (I called the dealers to verify before I bought the car), and everything worn out got or is getting upgraded anyway.

Mechanically, it's pretty much perfect other than a persistent driveline vibration, which...

...naturally resulted in Holden attempting to charge me $260 to change the torque converter lockup point programming, even though I told them the center bearing and universal joint were worn. Of course, their fix didn't fix a damn thing, and it took a month of emails back and forth with HQ to get a refund.

It's almost like they see my boobs and immediately assume that I'll believe that my headlight fluid needs changing! :bang:

Its disappointing how mechanics try take advantage of females.. Obviously they made a mistake with you and you knew what you was talking about haha dodgy bastards

StatesmanV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5 ltr
I have been told only 07/08/10/11 v6 LLT engines can have software update to give more allowance for chain elongation and chain stretch, while 09 v6 LLT engine need to have chains replaced.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
I have been told only 07/08/10/11 v6 LLT engines can have software update to give more allowance for chain elongation and chain stretch, while 09 v6 LLT engine need to have chains replaced.

What about 2006 early ones?

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car

I'm also curious to know whether this is true or not and if I should book my 07 Berlina in?