Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's a vl really worth

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
I owned a VL one up from base model and TBH I would never want another. People like them but IDK why. IMHO they were not anything special, not the cheaper models anyway.

I thought my VL was pretty special, maybe it was because it replaced my HB torana.
It was also amazing how much better it was than my housemates VL that had 200K more k's on it.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I owned a VL one up from base model and TBH I would never want another. People like them but IDK why. IMHO they were not anything special, not the cheaper models anyway.
They are a fairly light body, great for a build

Drop in a LS and trans, build the diff, some good suspension and brakes, and go cruising and/or drag racing

Basically throw away everything but the body

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They are a fairly light body, great for a build

Drop in a LS and trans, build the diff, some good suspension and brakes, and go cruising and/or drag racing

Basically throw away everything but the body
Mine was built cheaply. The bumpers were average. Even the door mouldings were prone to cracks. The interior was average. I prefer the original shape Commodores to the VL. Just my opinion and plenty out there love them. I just don't think they were built well. Might be one of those things you either love or hate? And I don't love them.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Mine was built cheaply. The bumpers were average. Even the door mouldings were prone to cracks. The interior was average. I prefer the original shape Commodores to the VL. Just my opinion and plenty out there love them. I just don't think they were built well. Might be one of those things you either love or hate? And I don't love them.
I know people who used to own VN Commodores and while the engines were good, everything else around it was pretty garbage quality... I believe that around the VK-VS era (which is a long time), quality of Commodores just wasn't really there... Maybe it's because the VK was the first to use more plastic than previous iterations? Just my theory and it probably isn't true...

VT onwards really improved quality IMO and they've just generally held up better over time...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The interior was average. I prefer the original shape Commodores to the VL. Just my opinion and plenty out there love them. I just don't think they were built well. Might be one of those things you either love or hate? And I don't love them.
Different love / hate stories from all.
I was never impressed with the VB > VL series. I thought they were cheapo and nasty compared to HQ > HZ. Many will disagree there.

Our Honda Accord was getting too small for us, so when the VL was released in 1986, we decided to trade the Accord. Took a demo for a drive, it went well, but didn't excite me, no love there at all. It looked like a cartoon imitation of the previous models.
When we got the on road price of just north of $20k ( can't remember what spec it was ) a used Nissan Skyline 240E Hatch for $12K from the same dealer was a bargain.
Much nicer than the VL in looks, handling and comfort. It became a hand-me-down to our son, who drove it into the ground through neglect.

I know people who used to own VN Commodores and while the engines were good, everything else around it was pretty garbage quality...
Just the opposite view. I thought our 5.0 Calais was a return to being a real Holden. Nothing fell off or gave out.
But the engine was the weak link, electrical problems, and oil leaks from everywhere.
After 240Km, those niggly repairs started costing more than payments on a new car.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Different love / hate stories from all.
I was never impressed with the VB > VL series. I thought they were cheapo and nasty compared to HQ > HZ. Many will disagree there.

Our Honda Accord was getting too small for us, so when the VL was released in 1986, we decided to trade the Accord. Took a demo for a drive, it went well, but didn't excite me, no love there at all. It looked like a cartoon imitation of the previous models.
When we got the on road price of just north of $20k ( can't remember what spec it was ) a used Nissan Skyline 240E Hatch for $12K from the same dealer was a bargain.
Much nicer than the VL in looks, handling and comfort. It became a hand-me-down to our son, who drove it into the ground through neglect.

Just the opposite view. I thought our 5.0 Calais was a return to being a real Holden. Nothing fell off or gave out.
But the engine was the weak link, electrical problems, and oil leaks from everywhere.
After 240Km, those niggly repairs started costing more than payments on a new car.
Yep, these years were very hit and miss in the quality department... Both people who I know had the V6, and rust was a pretty big issue among other things, though they did last over 300,000km so they got a good life out of them...