Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats best method for removing external door moulds? HELP?

timbra_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5ltr
Hey all, just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas as to how to easily and carefully remove those annoying outer door trims and the glue underneath it that you have that goes down the side of the car, the black strip im talking about? Does anyone have a good method to remove it without damaging the paint underneath?? Ive tried a flat blade screwdriver and a razor blade and its proving to be a hard task without damaging the paint :(.. Any ideas???

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
fazz, just mask the c ar up around them and spray them on the car, or you're gonna have to remove the sikaflex anyway and put some new stuff on or the strips will stick out heaps and look dodgy.

the sikaflex is a prick to remove, with mine, i used a heatgun and razorblade to take it off, but it too damaged my paint and just resprayed it.

beefcream

Lethal LOKKA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5speed (project) VN exec v6 (daily)
i had trouble with this aswell. I used hair dryer to heat glue to remove strip then we used a paint scraper to get most of the glue off so the layer was really thin, then scrub hard wid metho. it does work but u gotta be soo carfull when scraping!!

VPCalais38

VP Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP V6 Calais Series II
You can purchase Silicone remover from Bunnings. Not sure if this will remove sikaflex tho. That stuff sticks like poo to a blanket.
Not sure how paint safe the silicone remover is either. I have to go to Bunnings on Sunday so I will try to remember to have a look at the label.

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
ive done this alot, buy a big wide flexible scraper (used to apply bog ect...) and either pour hot water over the panels or heat them, lift them off

now the glue, dont heat it, use prepsol (weak paint thinner) or turps will probably doo, soak it good and itl peel off with the big flat scraper - keep soaking it in the solvent and bobs your uncle, i have done this on Vk's VL's and VN's works sweet

just dont dig the edge of the scraper into the paint - it needs to be big and wide to avoid this happening

djshano08

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
for some reason when i got my vp wagon it had odd outer door trims and it was givin me the s#$ts so with out thinkin of thay came and i had the same problem tryed everything to get the sikaflex of to no avail but i come up with o temperary solution razor blade as much as u can of then go to ur nearest sign designer and get 4 mtr of 50mm sticker strip (the colour of the car) and place it over were the trims were looks not bad from a distance but not as good close up but it will do until i can get some cash for a paint job or replacement (matching white trims) the car needs a new coat anyway the sticker strip only cost me $8 not bad for a temp fix (i wish i read this thread before attempting scratches everywhere o well by the looks the old owner has done touch up on at least 7 decent scratches time for a new coat ) the car only cost me $200 so im not worried about spendin some dosh on a paint job wen i can afford it mechanical a1

Last edited: