Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whats best sounding for 5ltr, 3" or 2.5" cat back?

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
ive got a 5ltr vt berlina n the exhaust is cactus so i need a brand newie. i want a loud deep sounding system. whats best for that description, 3inch single cat back or a twin 2.5 cat back? all im after is a cat back system only, no extractors or anything like that. cheers

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
3inch catback with a good quality muffler, straight pipe out the back. Will have a loud and deep note :)

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
cheers mate, does anyone any sites where i can look for examples of exhaust notes? ive tried youyube but cant find what im after

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I think looking on youtube is a waste of time. A recording device, unless it very very good, won't give you a true indication of the sound of an exhaust. Also your relying on it being uploaded perfectly, it not using a bad compression, and your speakers being capable of a perfect playing of the track.

Go around to a few exhaust shops and see if they have any being worked on.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I prefer the sound of a single 3inch
I've got pacemaker extractors, y-pipe that joins to a single 3 inch just behind the gearbox, a 3 inch turbo muffler and resonator. It has a nice deep note at idle and low revs, and doesn't bark or drone at all.

as mentioned, it is a bit difficult to get an accurate indication of the sound from a recording, but here's some video camera footage of my VH at Lakeside. Might give you a bit of an idea
YouTube - Lakeside Raceway Qld - trackday 24/09/2010

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
twin two inch WITH a muffler AND two individual hotdogs
just an example i heard recently
no drone on highway and loud flat to floor
but the dogs cut put the spat spat spat at low revs!~

Joshy8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L
I've currently got a single 3 Inch cat back in my VT at the moment, its ok but i think unless you do a full system 2.5inch is the way to go. My friend has a 5.0L with a twin 2.5 and in my opinion he's sounds alot better then mine. He also invested in some high flow cats which seemed to give it a nicer note.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
I didn't want an offensively loud system when i had my 5L so i went with a 2.5" single mandrel bent cat back with a high flow cat, nice and quiet when i wanted it to be but when i jumped on the loud pedal you certainly knew it was a v8.

Its havdy to be able to have a stealthy exhaust cause i was able to keep it quiet when the filth was around and never had any dramas with them.